Iva.. Again

Guest alexpink

Guest alexpink

Went for my retest earlier...

There's now another S7 fit for the road! Had a wicked drive there and back, the carb I borrowed off Barry made the emissions test a doddle (Thank you!!!), but I'll be switching back to the twin Webers (or bike carbs if I can sell the Webers) for a bit more noise. Going to fill in and send the paperwork off asap, and get the car a bit more ready to use while I wait for the reg to come through. Wicked day altogether, couldn't be much happier!!!!

Congratulations, know just how you feel, well done.

I passed the retest on the 19th September and sent off the V55/5 the following day.

Still no registration so phoned the DVLA today and they said another 10 days, Doh, I'm itching to get out.

I suppose they are busy as the new regs came out on the 1st Sept.

That smile will be there for a long time and the grin every time you take it out for a run.

Lets all hope the weather holds up.

Good result well done

• Like 1

Guest alexpink

Documents all sent away earlier today, so now waiting for registration to come through; hopefully I'll have better luck than John!

Windscreen is on, wipers are ready to go on but the threads on the wheelboxes have both been stripped... grr, they're £15 each new.

A new filler cap is in the post so I can put that into the bootlid, should enable me to actually fill it from a pump as it's currently impossible.

Washer bottle is probably going to go in the boot in the gap next to the filler pipe.

Going to strip and clean the twin 40s and stick them back on when I get paid, then take it for a rolling road session to get it running properly.

Hopefully I'll get the reg through and be able to enjoy the thing for a bit, then I'm planning to build up another engine to put in at some point over winter. Have a decent head gasket and FR32 ready to go on, and a head which I might have a go at porting and cleaning up.

Probably going to use a 2.1 block as I might as well go all the way.

Can't wait to just get out and enjoy it properly now, but I really want the webers back on as the standard carb (30/34 not 32/36) chokes the engine back quite a lot in comparison (and I miss the growl of the webers!)

When is the next meeting? I'll try and make it, dependent on the DVLA!

• 3 weeks later...
Guest alexpink

Still not heard back from DVLA, into my third week of waiting now... Will give them a call later to see what's going on.

I've made a couple of upgrades, including a downwards filling fuel cap; lockable bootlid; windscreen, wiper and washer assembly. Also shortened the gearstick a bit more but something has gone wrong and I now have no push-down to go into reverse- oddly, the rubber spring section is still where it should be. Going to try with another gearstick I have lying around and see what happens.

Tempted to fit a stereo as I have some spare speakers lying around, but that can wait for now as there isn't really much point until the car is proven reliable enough to go on longer trips.

Undersealed the rear arch area, and I'll be driving it over to a friends to get it up in the air and fully undersealed asap.

Should be sorting out my twin weber 40s this week so I will have a matched pair, this will add a bit more power as I find the standard carb is a bit restrictive and it won't really pull above 5000rpm; going to try and get them back on asap, I miss the sound!

Also managed to get hold of another cylinder head with an FR32 assembly in; hoping to get the head ported, or find an injection head to use. Will probably swap the head over winter.

I've done a fair bit over the past couple of weeks, and now I just want the registration! Insurance and tax is all paid up for a year, so other than fuel and parts, it'll be all good to go!

Your next engine build with FR32 and 2.1 will need bigger carbs than the 40's as the maximum Venturi you should fit is 33:mm, 45's can take up to 38mm

Suggest a set of bike carbs about 38 to 40mm as these have variable Venturi built in with the needle slides and pick carbs with needles you can vary the height

Guest alexpink

I've found someone who will buy my carb setup off me so I will be able to purchase a set of 40mm bike carbs and the necessary kit from danST- contrary to my previous post I would rather have a bit more fuel economy... Apprentice wage and all that.... Does anyone know if we get a discount from danST for being a club member?

I've also now got my registration details from DVLA and I'm just waiting for my plates to arrive in the post.

Hey Alex how are shortening the gear stick? Are you just cutting down? Type 9 is normal to push down to go into reverse. If the issue is, you hit the dash with your hand in 1st 3rd 5th, then look at a quick shift it will reduce the throw. There's an easy DIY method that just needs 3 M10 nuts, you knock the metal part of the lever down through its plastic pivot 8mm and use the m10 nuts as spacers under the lever mounting plate. I'm sure that there's a document somewhere that gives better instructions if any one has it please post.

Jez

Also shortened the gearstick a bit more but something has gone wrong

There is a black plastic saddle that sits in the fork of the gear lever and straddles the gear change shaft. Make sure its still in place as they do fall off. Pictured out and in place.

Nigel

post-21-0-93700100-1443865443_thumb.jpg

post-21-0-71808900-1443865454_thumb.jpg

Guest alexpink

Hi Jez, I followed the instructions as on Dave Andrews website. Think I just need to lift the lever up a little bit more as I probably pressed it too far through when I reduced the length of the stick last weekend (it worked fine before then so I must have done something to break it when I removed it)