The End Of Vw Or Just A Good Time For Deals?

agent_zed

Guest 2b cruising

In that case I hope they tax the farmers more.

Cows must do a lot of damage when they furt.

Can't see them having to use cats or add blue to clean the exhaust gasses.

Everyone knows these tests aren't real world tests. One cycle was something like accelerate 20mph to 60mph in 30 seconds. Who accelerates that slow? MPG is also calculated from these tests too arent they? Should I take Alfa Romeo to court for compensation over quoting 25mpg average when I'm seeing 20mpg average? Don't be silly (unless you're a lawyer and will do this all for me no win, no fee? haha)

End of the day the defeat device is for the testing, real world experience won't change. If you bought a diesel for the mpg, you will still see the same mpg. Whack VW with a bill for the difference their proper map puts out, save on the recall (why bother spending time and money removing a defeat device that's only active under test???), big hefty fine too for good measure. Re-design the test to bring it up to date and realistic. No one sees the MPG figures quoted, why would emissions be any different?

• Like 1

i think the main issue is that VW were deliberately getting a market advantage by being 'cleaner'. if they didn't cheat the cars would be in a higher tax bracket and people may have chosen others. They have now left those customers with cars that potentially will be re-classified and if they aren't clean enough to pass certain criteria they won't be allowed in clean zones. resale values will plummet and the customers will be the ones out of pocket.

who pays the difference in tax? the customer bought the car in good faith. Will VW pay the government off?

Guest 2b cruising

Every low emissions device now in use drops the power of the engine they are fitted to.

All manufacturers have up graded the power of the engines to make up for this.

Therefore more fuel is burnt, that must be cancelling out any gain on low I missions.

Especially when combined to the manufacture of the Imissions devices, disposal of such when scrapped, the manufacture of engines using high grade metals to withstand the massive amount of extra heat created by the imission devices, and the Future disposal of them items.

I have not heard of anybody doing a study on the effects of the above, comparing it with when the pre imission laws existed.

Can anyone on here come up with true figures for this, including all known and future unknown aspects.

Another thing for every green minded person to chew on. What is going to happen when all these solar panels have worn out. What is going to happen to all the extremely toxic materials used in there manufacture?

oh i certainly agree that life cycle analysis needs to be taken into account. I remember a test between a prius and a bmw 520D both driven to paris from london. The bmw far exceeded the mpg over the prius. It also doesn't contain huge amount of heavy metals etc and the mining involved in getting said metals.

I get annoyed at the grants being given to put solar panels in fields instead of crops or trees. There are so many buildings that could have them instead. And as you say photovoltaics aren't that efficient when compared to the water heater solar panels. If the government really cared they would make it mandatory to face houses south with large windows which in 1 simple act would massively reduce energy consumption.

prob not true these days but a while ago Land rover stated that 75% of all landrovers ever made were still in use. Not bad for a gas-guzzling 4x4 hated by environmentalists. How long does the 'enviro friendly' toyota aygo going to last?

To me this isn't about the green credentials though, as said it's still a combustion engine. Its about corporate fraud and lost tax.

Edited by agent_zed

Guest 2b cruising

When my Robin was at GBSfor the accident repair the Insurence company supplied me with an Aygo

For what it was, the mpg was not that terrific.

Not only that the ride was absolutely shti.

Aygo Aygo go away.

Come back as a car some day.

Edited by 2b cruising

Further to the landrover figures I am sure I read somewhere that a jeep was one of the greenest cars because of its longevity and the ability to recycle almost everything it's built out if??

I'd be more worried about them applying an emissions update and strangling the performance and increasing fuel consumption. Anyone know what the update is yet?

Guest 2b cruising

It is the type approval test. Different countries different rules.

That's why it is difficult to import some second hand cars like Japanese ones.

They go through an IVA type test before registering.

You could call type approval test a major manufacturers IVA.

They just have one car tested and have to build the rest to the exact same spec.

I might be a little bit out on above but for our purposes I think it is near enough.

Well my Golf is one of the 1/2 million needing an update.

I will not be having it done without a guarantee that it will not affect performance or

fuel consumption.

I'll have to look into future resale values without the update.....Bugger.

Interestingly I looked at getting it chipped & it cant be done without physical access/changes to the ECU.

Dunno if VW are planning to do that...the news says only an update via the OBD? is needed.

Yet more confusion.

I'm intrigued as to whether this would affect power runs. E.g how would the ecu know if it was a power test on a rolling road or an emissions test.

If you took your golf and had it rollered and let's say it made 140bhp instead of the 150bhp claimed could that be just the ecu tricking you and on the road you would actually get the 150bhp when it switches to normal.

So when they chip it to 160bhp and tell you you've gained 20bhp you would actually only get 10bhp increase in the real world.

Obv i've just made these numbers up but hopefully you see what i mean