What Are Your Opinions On This Chassis...bit Different!

Guest Joe_burtenshaw

Guest Joe_burtenshaw

This is my hood chassis that I have had a few bits added. This is due to the previous owner cutting loads out. So what I have done is added parts back in. Mainly a lexus is 200 engine?mount and rear subfamily, and slightly widened the gearbox tunnel. Can you guys see anything that could cause problems or give me any advice? Thanks joe

• 2 months later...
Guest Joe_burtenshaw

ok ive eventually uploaded a picture of the chassis. it was changed and cut about by the previous owner to acomidate a 3lt auto enging that looked like it was from a truck! it has now been changed to take a 2lt lexus is200 enging and box with a full lexus rear subframe and suspension. what do you guys think will it work or not? haha thanks for the advice and dont take the piss to much! http://s29.postimg.org/3jsohxxg7/IMG_20150919_WA0002.jpg

Guest 2b cruising

Nothing to laugh about there.

Good work.

Good engine choice with a great g/box.

Rear end should behave well.

Will be watching your post with interest.

Now is the right time of year to think about becoming a full member of our great club.

Edited by 2b cruising

Guest Joe_burtenshaw

Florin metal works what do you mean run the handbrake on the top tunnel tubes? Also how do I become a full member? Many thanks for you comments it gives me confidence to keep going!

Guest 2b cruising

For membership click on the yellow link in the top right work bar.

Handbrake is normally in the passenger footwell.

If you open the top tubes slightly to allow the bottom of the handbrake lever to drop through, you can mount the main lever onto the rear of the transmission tunnel top.

Alternately, you can save the very useful arm rest by keeping the lever in the footwell, just alter the throw of it so they it is in a vertical plane when on or off.

That would be my option. All comforts in small cabins are a godsend.

Look into modifications threads. It has been a popular topic, even quite recently.

I'm not sure community members can follow these links though but give it a try.

Al Milton has posted some excellent pictures. They are so good no instructions are needed.

Edited by 2b cruising

It looks a bit bare from the rear of the engine mount to the firewall location.

I cant remember if there were 2 lengthwise tubes in the original chassis & cant find a picture.

In any case I'd try to add some triangulation there to stop "lozenging"

+1 for changing to wishbones at this stage.

Edited by Bob Tucker

Guest Joe_burtenshaw

Ive just had a look at thw handbrake placment on the tunnel but i think because i have already widened the tunnel to accept the new box i will leave it in the footwell as im tight for space already! But the pictures are great! Not to sure what you mean bob as to lozenging? I thought the rear of the car was standard apart feom the modifacations i have added to the rear outer bar for the suspension? This is a photo of where and what the prwvious owner left me with😂 http://s29.postimg.org/woq6wgvxz/IMG_20150307_WA0000.jpg

Guest Joe_burtenshaw

Also on the note about wishbones I did ask a while back but I hear it is an expensive modification not sure if I can afford it on top of the build costs! Unless there is a cheaper way?

For membership click on the yellow link in the top right work bar.

Handbrake is normally in the passenger footwell.

If you open the top tubes slightly to allow the bottom of the handbrake lever to drop through, you can mount the main lever onto the rear of the transmission tunnel top.

Alternately, you can save the very useful arm rest by keeping the lever in the footwell, just alter the throw of it so they it is in a vertical plane when on or off.

That would be my option. All comforts in small cabins are a godsend.

Look into modifications threads. It has been a popular topic, even quite recently.

I'm not sure community members can follow these links though but give it a try.

Al Milton has posted some excellent pictures. They are so good no instructions are needed.

Thanks Ken, almost took the words out of my mouth --- although there is still plenty room for resting elbow on tunnel top with handbrake lever -- young lady passengers get a bit nervous when h/brake in passenger footwell & old man driving.

• Like 1

Guest 2b cruising

Sorry for jumping in mate. Just one of those moments.

Being a young man myself, the ladies have no complaints so far.

Joe, people are right about the wishbone mod.

You will kick yourself sometime soon if you don't do it.

Especially after fitting that good rear end.

Once again look for the subject in past posts. It has been covered a lot.

Also if you do it, make your mind up if you want the new handling kit that gives you a full 6' caster.

If you use the old type, you might be lucky finding second hand ones. Awkward getting self cantering with these but possible.

Also watch for front spring interfering with the top wishbone trying to remedy the lack of self centering.