Bike Carb Conversion

Guest Seanus01

Guest Seanus01

Hi,

I currently have the engine out of my 2B and I'm carrying out some mods. One thing I am planning to do is fit a set of late GSXR1100 bike carbs which have already been sent to Boggs Bros for the manifold and jetting to be done.

I have a question regarding what I do with all the electrical plugs and that are on my standard manifold and carbs and any further mods I need to carry out? Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

Sean

Considering you said 'all the electrical plugs' it sounds like you have a post 85 2.0pinto with a DFTH carb on it. Stepper motor (about 8 terminals), electric choke (1 terminal) and a manifold heater(1 terminal). Can't remember if it had a fuel cut-off valve. Don't think it did. Stepper motor and manifold heater (and its relay) both worked by an ecu. Choke from the alternator. Fuel cut0off valve if there is one is just an ignition live.

They can all be unplugged and isolated. Strip out from loom if your keen and remove the manifold heater relay.

The ecu will be unworried by these losses and shouldn't go into limp mode. Maybe limp mode wasn't invented in those days.

You do need the ecu for ignition unless you plan to replace it with a modern stand alone distributor (like accuspark) which would probably work better anyway in which case removing the ecu and all its wires might slim down your car by a couple of pounds.

Nigel

Edited by Longboarder

Guest 2b cruising

Al Milton is just around the corner Chris.

Long boarders instructions are accurate and laid out simple enough to follow.

Another well done to Nigel.

Edited by 2b cruising

If you plan to keep the ecu for sparks then you will need to tap into each manifold runner, pipe to a plenum and lead that to the ecu. Even then the ignition timing would be a compromise and not set for max power. Probably better to ditch the ecu and use accuspark type distributor for a better timing curve.

Nigel

Guest Seanus01

Hi Nigel,

I've decided to take your advice and ditch the ecu in favour of an accuspark electronic distributor. Just one question, will this affect the Rev counter it is the pick up from this not run through the ecu?

Cheers