Vulcan

Guest peter2b2002

I heard on the radio the chief guy of the organisation that preserves / maintains the plane. He said that the reason for discontinuing it is that the expertise to maintain it has gone from the companies that they used. Just thought I'd chip in with that. I'd always assumed a jet engine was a jet engine and hydraulics etc where just that but I don't know anything about maintaining a plane and he made me realise there must be many tricky bits and pieces inside waiting to go wrong. So I'm more awe-struck by them than before.

One of the issues is that Rolls Royce arent prepared to help maintain the engines.

The engines are old and costly to maintain and rebuild.

As an example a Tornado engine RB199 is a million pounds to rebuild. They also require periodic maintenance at various flying hours. This can add to the overall cost of keeping the aircraft flying every year. Manhours, parts, fuel, it all adds up.

It'll be a huge shame if they do ground her.

• 1 month later...
Guest 2b cruising

Yes,John should be a good programme.

Not just for the Vulcan part of it but Guy Martin is always worthwhile entertainment in my view.

I believe it will also include the high banking that some fool reported the pilot for barrel rolling. LoL

That's not to take any light hearted views on what happened to unfortunate people at the terrible Shoreham accident, but barrel rolling a Vulcan???

Surely the wings would rip off.

Edited by 2b cruising

but barrel rolling a Vulcan???

Surely the wings would rip off.

No. If it done properly you only pull 1G, it's a very gentle manoeuver. And remember the Vulcan famously did a barrel roll at the Farnborough Air Show in 1995. Even Concorde did one during testing.

Having just dragged myself into the modern era by buying a larger hd telly after I watched that I decided that it was worth it for that alone. Fantastic photography and I also noticed that the airfield where guy did his taxying had a Coleman aircraft tug. I have also got one in my garage!

Guest 2b cruising

Having just dragged myself into the modern era by buying a larger hd telly after I watched that I decided that it was worth it for that alone. Fantastic photography and I also noticed that the airfield where guy did his taxying had a Coleman aircraft tug. I have also got one in my garage!

Darn shame you have no Vulcan to go with it.

ee by gum ne' er mind lad tha might get one fot Chrissy undet tree.

Guest mower man

Only vaguely on subject but many years ago I was in the company of a Vulcan pilot who recounted a tale of a flight back from Germany to Finningley at zero feet [his words] over the north sea dodging trawlers so not upset them with the slipstream cannot verifie the truth but it was highly entertaining ,but a little laughing juice had been consumed in the run up to the tale mick :rofl:

On the Vulcan subject, I was working in Denmark many years ago and one night I was suprised to find my local full of R.A.F. Types. After several Carlsbergs one of them revealed to me they had been scrambled to nuke Moscow! The raid was called off when they were inside Danish air space. He was overheard and told to shut his gob immediately. True or just too much strong drink?