New Mot Rules

philshelton

well got my van mot due and i will be taking it for its test a couple of weeks before its due and if it fails I will be driving it home to fix it because it will still have a valid test certificate

Thats the way that I have always understood the regulations So it just means that I would be loosing a couple of weeks MOT if it passes first time. I have been stopped when taking an untaxed car for its test but when I told them I had an appointment for the test they were fine about it.

well got my van mot due and i will be taking it for its test a couple of weeks before its due and if it fails I will be driving it home to fix it because it will still have a valid test certificate

it wont be valid as the new mot refusal cancels it out.

I've found that if you MOT in the month before the expiry date, the MOT runs FROM the expiry date to the next due date.

That's what's happened in the past anyway.

As I noticed in one of the previous posts "... in order to preserve the anniversary date ..." , or in other words, you DO get a full 12 months MOT if you test in the preceding month and it passes. If it doesn't pass, you still have the remainder of the MOT to drive it to a place of repair.

It's only if the MOT has expired that problems arise.

That's how it seemed to happen when my MOTs have been due to now anyway.

Simon.

Guest garyfelton

As an MOT tester I have been told by the 'man from DOSA' that no one has the power to cancel an MOT. If a vehicle has a valid MOT a fail at anytime before the expiry date does not cancel the existing MOT, however if the fail identifies the vehicle is dangerous to drive in the opinion of the tester this will be indicated on the failure notice and you would be wise not to drive it.

As far as I'm aware the rules about preserving the test date have not altered, you still can get a test upto one calendar month to persevere the the test date, ie have an MOT certificate which lasts 13 months. All MOT testers are kept informed of changes via special notices and have to electronically acknowledge they have read them in a specified time to be allowed to keep on testing. I have seen no new special notices so assume nothing has changed.

The new computerised system introduced this year has had teething problems and some certificates issued did not show the preserved date, although there is a number you can ring to get this rectified.

HTH Gary

Guest 2b cruising

it wont be valid as the new mot refusal cancels it out.

Post number 14 states if old certain valid you can.

This is as off government site this morning via Ian and Carole.

Even back in the 60's when I was doing the mot testing, you could only advise customer to dangerouse to drive.

Still the same today. Your car is your property and only the police or customs can take it off you.

However if you have been advised too dangerouse to drive, and you get stopped by a Bobby, that would be your own stupid fault.

Guest 2b cruising

By reading through all the above posts made on this subject including the ones of speculation, and from people in the know and people doing research.

I speculate that this topic originated through fictitious scaremongering on someone's part.

I don't think it was the originator of the post, but possibly whoever started a conversation with himself.

By reading through all the above posts made on this subject including the ones of speculation, and from people in the know and people doing research.

I speculate that this topic originated through fictitious scaremongering on someone's part.

I don't think it was the originator of the post, but possibly whoever started a conversation with himself.

Well, to repeat Rob's post (#7):

You must not drive the vehicle on the road if it fails the test, even if the MOT hasn’t run out, except to:

• have the failed defects fixed
  • a pre-arranged MOT test appointment

You can be fined up to £2,500, be banned from driving and get 3 penalty points for driving a vehicle in a dangerous condition.

https://www.gov.uk/getting-an-mot/after-the-test

I think it's unfair, but if that is the guidance the government is giving out, that is what we have to work to.

Edited by Grim

personally i don't think that is unfair. The car is not roadworthy so you have to

• or go to a pre-arranged MOT test appointment

you shouldn't get 2 or 3 weeks to drive around in a car that has failed a road worthiness test. The bit of paper doesn't actually exempt you from having defects anyway so 6 months in if you have worn bushes and split wipers then your MOT in invalid anyway, it just doesn't show in the apnr checks. If your car in inspected at a random stop you will still (and should) get a telling off whether you have an MOT or not.

just my opinion though.

the mot procedure is a complete farce anyway as long as it passes the inspection on the day you get a piece of paper to say it was roadworthy on that day the rest of the year it is the drivers responsibility to keep it roadworthy

• Like 1

From the same link....no ambiguity at all...

Failing the MOT

If your vehicle fails the MOT:

You can appeal the result if you think it’s wrong.

Driving a vehicle that’s failed

You must not drive the vehicle on the road if it fails the test, even if the MOT hasn’t run out, except to:

• a pre-arranged MOT test appointment

You can be fined up to £2,500, be banned from driving and get 3 penalty points for driving a vehicle in a dangerous condition.

But it seems to me you can drive it home to repair it yourself