Iva Failure At Southampton

colinmoore

Hi guys, My 2B failed the IVA today at Southampton. Not too long a list of jobs to do. main failures:

1. Service brake below 60%, mainly due to the pressure limiting valve that I have fitted to prevent rear wheel locking, as I have rear discs, and LCD fitted, Andy the tester advised me not to just remove it, but to fit the sierra "G" valve instead. These seem to be like hens teeth now, so does anyone have a spare that they would like to swap for beer tokens?

2. Speedo reading too low at 70 MPH . Missed the cut by 1 MPH here, speeds up to this were within limits. I am using capri dials, and am reluctant to change the dash to fit sierra ones. does anyone know a get out of jail fix here? I know other people have used these gauges before,

3. Side repeater indicators unable to be seen from a 5 degree angle to the rear. strange ruling here, as I would have thought from this angle you would be able to see the rear indicator! However fitting repeaters to the bonnet or side is no longer acceptable, so I must fit them to the front cycle wings.

This concluded the main problems list, a few other minor pieces of advise were given regarding mirror fixings, demisters not directing air to the screen, drill some holes through the louvers was the advice given. My tester was not positive that I needed edging on these, or on the louvers on the bonnet, as to him they were considered to be grills.

Overall not a bad day, a shame to have come away with a failure, but good experience for next time, the brakes had passed a standard MOT the week before, but then they don't take axle weights into the calculations

A suggestion for No. 2 Can you borrow a pair of tyres/wheels with a lower profile fitted -- reduce the diameter & wheels will need to rotate quicker to match rollers & so your speedo will read higher.

Or maybe a worn set of tyres -- but not too worn.

No 3 Could you fit a larger, more bulbous side repeater -- you have not stated whether the fail was for horizontal or vertical 5*

Guest 2b cruising

Speedo gear in gearbox is just a slip over fit onto the output shaft.

It is not fixed to anything and friction drives it.

It may just be possible to put an extra slightly sharper bend in the cable and cause it to run slower.

I have never tried this so it would be a pure experiment.

I have said to have a go at this as no cable gearbox or gearbox drive gear would adjust to such a minute amount.

The only other thing is to see if a repairer of such things could re adjust the speedometer itself.

To be really crude, bend the needle back by one mph.

G valve,.

Club member and very helpful guy is on holiday at the moment in Latvia.

Just last night he was on the site saying how easy it was to get any Sierra parts out there.

I would sujested you bust into his post from yesterday titled LSD. I know he has a contact on his phone that will email him if people post on it. That way I know he will look at your request asking if he could get you one.

He really is a friendly chap and is sure to help you if he can.

A few other people have been let down about the change on side indicators before you.

The reason for them is if your rear light stops working.

It does give a better chance to let others see your intention to turn from behind.

Good luck and good hunting. That really is a small list of rectification so well done to you.

PS. Janis post Lsd is still on the first open page of new content.

Edited by 2b cruising

Guest 2b cruising

Indicators, personally I would not take a chance and would fit them to wings.

It's easy done and the cable can be completely hidden by going through the wing stay tubing.

Hi again, I need to correct No.2 The speedo is actually reading too high at 70 MPH, Speedo reading 70 - Actual speed 56 MPH, a long way out I know, but would have passed if it had been 57 MPH. Thanks for your reply s, and advice to date. I will put the repeaters on the cycle wings, but will have to think about making a neat solution to getting the cable across the suspension. The tester did state that I had made a good effort for a Robin Hood! He had seen many before, and remembers the reverse tapers, steering column supports etc.

(1) A friend of mine made up a new dial face using Powerpoint......he's

a lot more PC savvy than me so it worked a treat.

(2) The Sierra speedo needle was just a push fit on the spindle, & its possible to remove it

& replace it in a different position if the speedo overreads by a consistent amount. May work

for the Capri dials too?

if the brake test is carried out static on a set of rollers the G valve won't make any difference at all, it is an inertia operated decelerartion valve and needs to be in a moving vehicle to be effective. It might be easier to remove whatever pressure valve you have in and find another solution, Fiestas had pressure relief valves fitted to the outlets on the master cylinder which may do what you want.

Side repeaters fitted to the body of a 7 type car haven't been able to meet the angles of visibility since the IVA test came into effect. The purpose of the side repeater is to alert drivers coming from behind and past the point where the rear lights can be seen that you intend to pull out. To that end you can fit the repeaters to the rear wheel arch, so long as they are within 2600mm of the front of the vehicle, the windscreen pillars or the outside edge of the front mudguards.

Easiest, but not necessarilly the cheapest way to get the speedo correct is to get a set of wheels and tyres that match the rolling diameter of those originally fitted to a capri that your clocks came from. Otherwise there is something called a speedo healer, but not sure if that will do the job for you.

There are things a speedo must comply with to be legal and usable. It must be a reasonable indicator of speed. It must not read low by any margin. It may read high and your tester (? all testers) has a percentage tolerance figure that he uses. (20% of 70 is 14 = 56)

What is odd is that you say it was OK to 60 and below. I suspect that's just within the limit of error and it was 19% over-reading up to that point! Which makes it a pretty poor speedo in practical terms. You would be doing 24-25mph at an indicated 30 and being followed by a line of impatient drivers.

IMO easiest and most effective fix for usefulness is a new card for the dial face but you would need to reduce the error by say 17% so it still reads slightly high at all speeds. You can't risk it reading low. Mechanically doing it by changing the tooth count on the pickup wheel in the gearbox would be hard to get right. You could also change to an electronic speedo which would require a new dash and other instruments.

Nigel

I just got my 2B through the IVA with side repeaters on the cycle wings and no problem with the cable fouling the suspension.

I clipped it to the cycle wing frame and then looped to the bodywork, noting enough slack in cable, no issues with the examiner, and he was certainly looking for failure points.

post-2376-0-03070000-1445525337_thumb.jpgpost-2376-0-75103000-1445525360_thumb.jpgpost-2376-0-57107200-1445525379_thumb.jpg