Iva Failure At Southampton

colinmoore

Thanks for that John, yes I will have to do something similar. I understand you had trouble with seat belt mounts, this must have been transmitted via jungle drums as mine were carefully inspected, but it was decided that because of the seats I was using, it would be OK. On the subject of the sierra deceleration valve, I pointed out that it would not work on the test rollers, but was told it would be checked on a skid test on the road, as it was on the day. I now doubt that the rears will lock before the fronts, and will have to follow the advice given. I had originally bought an adjustable bias valve as an ideal solution to this problem, but of course on reading the advice notes, found this was not allowed. I have found a cheap solution to the speedo problem, on testing the capri and sierra speedo's with my 2 speed drill I found they gave the same readings, being 30, and 100 MPH. This means the anomalies lie within the drive train, and wheel size. However the capri clock reads to 140 MPH and the sierra 130 MPH for the same swept area. By using the sierra face on the capri speedo it means I have reduced the error by 10 MPH at full tilt, and nearly 6 MPH at 70MPH. This hopefully will mean that at an indicated 70 MPH, the true speed will be around 62, which is well within the limits. The sierra dial is slightly smaller than the capri one, but still fills the viewing window. The error was proportional, meaning it was still evident at lower speeds, but was within limits.

I have located a deceleration valve at a scrappies, which I hope is the correct type (were they changed on later models?) and is on it's way to me.

• Like 1

I had my super-spec IVAd at Southampton five years ago by Andy (Blakemore - I think) and I failed on side repeaters too. He said "a lot of caterhams have them on the front cycle wings" - so I purchased a pair of caterham items and added to front wings. My thought was: if that's what you want and that is what I need to pass IVA, then that's what you are going to get - even though someone may not be able to see from rear if front wheels aren't pointing straight. Passed with no problems.

-steve

My 2B also has discs all round . I removed the valve. I have never experienced the need for it. I had a standard Sierra servo fitted at the time of the test , no servo at all now!!

My side repeaters are in the side panel in front of the screen mounting, so front repeaters are motorcycle fairing ones on the top of the cycle wings- no problem.wires come out over the top wishbone mounting and are attached to the top bone. Pictures if you want.

Edited by Graham B