Sliding Pillar Upgrade Instructions

Guest Jonathan.Ritchie

Guest Jonathan.Ritchie

The job itself looks a lot more daunting than it actually is.

Thankfully I was rebuilding a poorly built model and essentially everything was out of the engine bay except the engine and all panels were removed.

Once you've got the location for the mounting beams marked out its not too big of a job it's more having the confidence with the placement of the parts as there are no reference points to really take from.

The kit came with pre-slotted struts to give you a rough idea but to get them to fit where I wanted I had to shape the cutaways so thet they fitted flush to the chassis but once everything is spot welded in place it's more of a case of getting everything welded up solid and then moving onto the next step.

Still waiting for mine to be fully welded as my mate is a coded welder and a bit of a perfectionist... plus I'm using a £35 welder out of Lidl's that I bought years ago which is actually really really good appart from the fact that it overheats after about 20 minutes of solid welding and takes about 1 hour to cool down again.

Guest Jonathan.Ritchie

Although saying that EvilDave looking at your build with the new body conversion I don't think the wishbone suspension would be possible.

Hopefully someone can correct me if I'm wrong but I had a look through your photos and noticed where you have cut the front off the chassis.

Essentially the forward most cross member which comes out of the chassis where the headlight fits is the center of the wishbone suspension where the coilover is mounted between this cross member and the lower wishbone.

The front connection struts for the wishbones sit pretty much just below and above the track rod, looking at the photos I would say you could possibly get the lower bracket fitted but I don't think you have enough chassis left to fit the top bracket :(

Even if there is enough space on the chassis I can't see how you would be able to fit the nose back to the car as you have it fitted :(

I'm sure there is a way round it somehow but the general setup from the kit may not be as 'straight forward' as a standard upgrade

Guest evildave

Yeah seems to be a problem, good spot!

Maybe i'll stick with the sliding pillars, after all it's a better system than a real hot rod with solid axle and leaf spring. Or i could graft on something like a cortina front crossmember which is self contained but would look pretty ugly in the front view, i like it looking minmal/open.

Another option is to mod the tops of the chassis so i can get some neg camber and pos caster, it'll scrub out tyres but probably no more than i'm used to anyway, would feel better at higher speed cornering.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Jonathan.Ritchie

Still in the process of getting it done just now Joe. Been been really busy with my function band and trying to get time where myself and my mate who does the welding are both free is a bit of a nightmare just now but I'll get them posted up once it's done