Sliding Pillar Upgrade Instructions

Guest Jonathan.Ritchie

Just been looking at the pictures and going from memory of what the hubs look like that I have it looks like the bottom ball joint where the hub connects to the wishbone might have been removed?? would this be corret? I haven't got any pictures of the hub at work just now so just going off memory...

Guess finding a new set of hubs it is then... anyone got any pointers of where to get a decent cheap set?

hubs are required, unfortunately, bit surprised that this was not mentioned when purchased, they sell them

http://www.kitspares.co.uk/index.php?route=product/search&search=front%20hubs

Guest Jonathan.Ritchie

Yeah pretty surprised myself to be honest. They are digging out a set of donor ones for me just now. Really wanted the reconditioned ones for an extra £80 for piece of mind but since my ones are deemed "unservicable" due to the sliding pillar butcher job there was an extra £100 surcharge... I think i'd rather got for the rusty ones and get a wire brush on them and give them a lick of paint than shell out £280

I found some for sale on eBay for 60 quid. Plenty of ford breakers about.

Plus here or locost May come up trumps.. I sold my old sp stuff on Too ...so guys want/need spares

Ps @ steamer...Yes all stainless bolts fitted.

Edited by maccavvy

Guest Jonathan.Ritchie

Yeah I got some ordered up from GBS last night so should be here tomorrow.

Quick question... the lower rear extension that was removed sits almost directly where the new bracket is to be welded on. What is the best way round this for fitting the bracket but also keeping the stregnthening of the remainder of the tube connected to the chassis?

Guest 2b cruising

Would it matter moving your wheel station forward to clear the brackets, as long as both sides are in the same plane?

I'm not sure, but it is a question worth asking to someone with the experience of doing the job before.

Guest Jonathan.Ritchie

Since using the front upright and headlamp holder as the strut for mounting the top of the shock absorber I think the position of that dictates where the wheel station would sit due to ensuring a straight vertical line for the shock to the wishbone and not having it sit at an angle.

The kit came supplied with a new Lazer cut panel for the sides, once I grinded off the old supports that werent needed I clamped it in place with relation to the track rods and the remaining upright and marked the locations of the cutaways on the new panel and then removed it. When I went to match all the brackets up to the car and lined them up as they should be I found that all of the brackets fell almost bang on the markings I made off the template so I think i should be in a good position from here.

I may just grind back the tube just enough to get the bracket to fit flush onto the chassis and then go round the tube again when welding the bracket to make sure its still holding strong.

Guest Jonathan.Ritchie

Yeah I did think about that aswell.. Just remove the lower joiner and weld round the remainder to ensure it does not remove any support from the lower tube

Guest Jonathan.Ritchie

Found another stumbling block...

steering rack, the original one won't work with the wishbone suspension I don't think as it is not long enough... I never saw anything in the kit that would extend the rack. Do the steering rack extensions from GBS do the job or would I need a whole new steering rack?

Guest Ian & Carole

See if you can find a Sierra rack if not get coded welder to cut and extend yours or try GBS extenders.

When I did mine I had the Metro rack cut and welded then sleeved.

Guest Jonathan.Ritchie

Yeah.. I'm just a little bit annoyed with GBS to be honest... The full sliding pillar upgrade kit that contains "everything you need" appears to not contain everything I need. already had to go out and get new hubs and now having to get new extensions for the steering rack.. I would have thought that they would have thrown the extensions in with the fixings but apparently not

Guest Ian Maycock

Regarding the rack extension. When i did my conversion I got a local engineering firm to make a couple of out of mild steel bar. All you need to do is have a female thread in one end that matches the thread on the rack and a male thread on the other end that matches the track rod end. Mine were only about 75mm long. I would suggest you trial fit the suspension and then measure the distance between the end of the rack and the track rod end. make sure the internal and external threads on the extensions do not overlap as this could create a weak point

HTH.

Edited by Iggy