Theduck's S7 Winter Mods 2015

theduck

So now that the car has passed IVA and winter is up on us, the first round of changes are starting. Well in truth they started the day I got the car home, but I wanted to save posting about them until I finished off the old car with the registration having been received.

There are a number of minor changes I wanted to undertake, and some larger ones. The basic list looks something like this:

-Remove god awful heatshield I made to pass IVA

-Swap silencer over from borrowed IVA friendly one to something else

-Change seats to low back ones that will sit me lower in the car.

-Swap IVA rear fog light for something better looking

-Replace ARB with tie bars

-Increase available steering lock

-Improve indicator switch position as hard to use in current position.

-Remove fixed boot cover and replace with suitable replacement so can use boot area

-Panel boot area as required

-Some as yet tbc other improvements

This is far from a definitive list, but is just an over view without letting any nice surprises out the bag. One item that is not mentioned above will (all being well and it happens as planned) end up as a boys in hoods exclusive next year, and so wont appear on the forum until after the magazine has come out, and trust me, you'll want to read it!

So, what have I done so far?

Well the first job was to remove the horrible heatshield. I am sure buy now you are wondering what I am talking about? Well don't go running back to the build thread to check what you missed just yet. I actually never posted a photo of it in there as after my initial pleasure about how amazing it was, I quickly realised it was fertiliser. So here it is for the first time, the terrible heat shield I made to cover the horrible brackets I made to fit my borrowed silencer to pass the IVA noise test

IMG_8045.jpg

B28A04A7-5BC2-4755-8B52-FF0C4F1DF2F7.jpg

Ugly, isn't it? It was one of those moments where you think, "this will be brilliant" and actually, its a bit crap. So that had to come straight off revealing what was below it

IMG_8218.jpg

A short while ago I had spotted a carbon fibre silencer on locostbuilders that looked like a suitable option, although it needed some cleaning up and a poorly made tail pipe extension off, it looked like it was worth a punt.

2IMG_5078.jpg

So I set to giving it a clean up and removing the terrible extension which had been welded on! I am happy to say though that with an angry grinder for the tail pipe and some elbow grease and the right choice of products to clean up the carbon, it now looks fantastic. Below is a quick video showing it cleaned up and a couple of revs to show what it sounds like.

As well as needing to replace the silencer, I had to replace the mirrors, as again they were borrowed for the purpose of passing the IVA, so back on with my carbon effect mirrors.

FullSizeRender.jpg

I was also keeping an eye on the forums for any parts I may need (the wife would say, want) and while I was working away a pair of seats the looked absolutely perfect came up for sale near where I was working, it would have been rude not to buy them!

IMG_8214.jpg

With the runners on the seats they sat me at the same height as the current seats, but with them off they sit a little lower and I can use the same mounts we made for the previous Cobra seats, though I will be making a new one for the back of the drivers seat as due to the design of the base of the seat I can make a mount that will drop the rear of the seat even lower.

IMG_8229.jpg

So thats it so far, the passenger seat still needs fitting and the drivers rear mount changing as mentioned above. I will keep this up to date with any further progress over the winter, and if we get any nice weather maybe even some photos of it out of the garage!

• Like 1

You'll have to wait and see ;-)

Just been out for my first drive since getting registration, quick trip round to the inlaws with the wife who throughly enjoyed it. Was going to take some pictures while we were out but it started chucking it down so didn't get chance so just one of it tucked back up in the garage

386168B8-AB1A-4625-81E0-1075E18BA83A.jpg

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I'm not sure, but the seatbelts going over the roll bar look a bit too high for those seats.

I did see that it passed IVA like that but the original seats had much higher backs.

I may just be talking rubbish.....it has happened before.....my wife points it out most days.

PS New seats look great.

Edited by Bob Tucker

As t'other Bob says; those belts look to be very badly positioned now that you have seats with-out head restraint. In any-thing but a direct head on crash it is likely your shoulder ( one or other or both ) will slip out . New seats look fine Stuart, but with the present belts ???

Guest 2b cruising

Agreed. Roll over and centrifugal force could easily slide you up the belts leaving your head ready to hit the hard stuf, or even a broken neck if still in any kind of forward motion.

Sorry for being a little graphic mate.

Is there nowhere to mount them on the seat back panel, or o weld some mounts to it.

I mean on the framework and not the panel of coarse.

The belts could come over the seats keeping you pulled down.

They would not be fowling on the seats when you sit in because your shoulders would be higher than the seat backs. (I think).

Edited by 2b cruising

+1. Belts need to come down now. I would just run them straight from the back; skip the crossbar. There's an assumption that they tie in at the back panel nice and sturdy with some welded-in angled plate. I can see you've got some little hoops to stop the belts splaying across the cross-bar but I still wouldn't rely on the layout working when they were needed - they are not designed to work at that angle. I know the MSA wouldn't let you race with them like that, put it that way!

Thanks for the comments. I will get a picture to show how the belts sit with someone in the seat. The top of the roll bar is low though, actually too low but that's another issue, which makes the height of the bar the harnesses pass over look higher than it really is.

One of the other jobs on the list is to either source some head rests that work with these seats as they have the holes for them, or, to fabricate some other type of removable head rest.

Guest 2b cruising

It still looks a bit iffy to me Duck.

Unless you've got leg straps it would still be possible to move your body directly upwards leant your head in danger.

Hope I'm wrong on this.