Theduck's S7 Winter Mods 2015

theduck

• 2 weeks later...

140bhp at 5k rpm. Beyond that it it was too lean so we had to pull out of the runs. It's safe to 5k for now though. The interesting bit was that it was already over 100bhp at the wheels at 3k rpm!

• 3 months later...

Wow, it's been a while since I last posted. Have been hovering more than anything for a while as I have been concentrating on other things. With the Wales trip coming up though it was about time I sorted out the car.

So as some will be aware, it was running, but not great at stoneleigh and it had a massive fuel leak. So these needed addressing. I'd also not made as much power as I had hoped, and couldn't understand why when I thought I had followed the same setup I had seen elsewhere, all of these needed investigating.

Fuel leak - this was simple, I'd made a hash of the hole for the pump and it was leaking around the seal. Solution, fit a plate over the hole I made with a correct size hole in. I actually had the hole cut slightly too small by mistake, but a bit of fettling and it's all now fitted and the tip test revealed no leaks so should be all good.

Running issues - when starting from cold the Sierra ecu was adding cold start enrichment to an already rich mixture and causing it to be lumpy. The solution has been to trick the ecu in to seeing the car as warm so it doesn't add cold start enrichment. This lead to an idea though, more on that later.

Lack of power - I went back to the person I had spoken to previously and we analysed the differences in our setups, looking at all kinds of things. Eventually he mentioned he hadn't been able to source an original fuel pressure regulator and so had used an after market one. As it turned out, he has used an FSE power boost valve, these don't work on the normal 1:1 ratio that the Sierra ones do, instead they work on a 1.7:1 ratio, so for every psi increase in the manifold, it increases fuel rail pressure by 1.7psi. This could be enough to find some of the missing power. I haven't fitted one yet but I have one in the parts store waiting to go on this weekend

The other thing i have done is make use of the cold start enrichment, yep, that thing that caused my rough running when cold. The engine adds extra fuel, and I need extra fuel. So a bit of wiring magic and the ecu now sees a warm engine all the time under 3psi and a cold engine above 3psi, resulting in extra fuel being injected!

Unfortunately I won't have time to get it rolling roaded for a while, but it should see a healthy increase over the previous power run!

140bhp, but from 3k rpm it started leaning out and by just over 5krpm it became too lean. The bit that impressed Steve walford the most was that it made over 100bhp at the wheels at 3k rpm. The extra fueling should only improve things.