Theduck's S7 Winter Mods 2015

theduck

Finished things off now ready for the Wales trip at the weekend. Couldn't get the car to run properly with any setup other than the fuel pressure Reg that we modified previously so have stuck with that. Took it out for a quick drive and the difference is massive, felt a lot quicker than it did before the wiring mods.

Can't wait for the Wales trip now!

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

So, following the Wales trip I came back with a list of things to try and fix/improve, these included:

Investigate and cure burning oil

Improve cooling system

Replace lower suspension arm bushes

Fix fuel leak - it was improved but not fixed on the trip

With the above in mind I set about ordering parts including a new 3 core alloy radiator, cowl and fan, a new expansion bottle, new bushes and a new seal for the fuel tank.

I have now fitted the new bushes and hopefully fixed the fuel leak for the final time. If it fails again I have another solution I will try next instead.

The oil burning I have solved though. Despite everything I read about the turbo I chose to fit saying it didn't need a restrictor in the oil line, it turned out that wasn't quite true, and that in the standard fitting, there is an oil restrictor built into the banjo fitting that I'm not using. So, I drilled a welding tip out to the right size and this nicely fits within the AN fitting and bingo, no more oil burning. The only down side to this is that my exhaust no longer blows smoke rings :(

So next in the list is the new coolant setup, then I'm on to niceties.

• Like 2

New rad and fan is on, seems to work a lot better than the old setup, although only been idling on drive. Current fan switch kicks in a little hot and turns off a little early, but I'll likely be changing how that's controlled later anyway.