Engine Rebuild - Advice Wanted

Guest Boost

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Boost

Not a lot of progress this last month, been busy with family, unfortunately my wife's Dad passed away suddenly.

Head has been sat there for while, I've managed over the last month to sneak out a lap the valves in!

Managed to get back in the cave tonight! So put all valves back in tonight and cc'd the head - 43cc.

Worked out the CR it will now be 10.37:1 Should be OK I think. Popped cam in and sat head on block, but then realised I need a 1/2 to 3/8 adaptor for torque wrench to tighten head bolts up so stopped for the night, I'll pick one up tomorrow on way home from work.

I'll post a few pics soon.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Boost

Them Halfords Adaptors impressed me! Thought it would snap with the torque but it didn't!

Here's a few more pics, All done! Just tidying the engine bay before I drop it back in.

IMG_4760.jpg

IMG_4761.jpg

IMG_4767.jpg

IMG_4766.jpg

IMG_4769.jpg

And I've got next week off work so it might actually get put in!

Guest Boost

Had a bit of cave time this last week so a bit of progress...

Tidied engine bay ready for the refit

IMG_4774.jpg

IMG_4775.jpg

IMG_4776.jpg

Dropped it back in, quite easy really!

IMG_4782.jpg

IMG_4783.jpg

IMG_4790.jpg

IMG_4791.jpg

Piped up the new breather system,(still got the vent filter to add to top of catch tank)

IMG_4793.jpg

IMG_4795.jpg

Thanks it! Started first time, set timing to 120 BTDC, and jobs a peach. 4.5 bar oil pressure on tick over, Warmed it through, no oil or water leaks yet.

Guest Boost

Went out for first test ride today, 3000 rpm and no hard accelerating! Enjoyed the ride but its murder not being able to bury the right foot!

All seem OK until I went round a left hand bend a bit sharp, there was a strange whizzing sound!

Pulled over for a look

IMG_4835.jpg

IMG_4836.jpg

Found it to be the cooling fins on the alternator catching the chassis! The Engine mountings in the slots we fully over to the RHS, so loosened them off and nudged engine over to LHS of slots, only 10mm or so and its stopped the fins catching.

So only another 450 steady miles to run it in!

IMG_4839.jpg

IMG_4840.jpg

If you read Dave Baker of Puma raceing web archive on running engines and cams in you will see that you can run an engine in, in about 20 mins

It's the rings your prepping nowadays, the many miles of running in was for badly honed bored where a lot of the work was to smooth them out

But don't take my word for it, there is info online