Vinyl Wrap Or Paint

Guest mcramsay

Guest mcramsay

I'm getting close to thinking about IVA now, currently my marlin has a beige gel coat finish on the fibreglass and bare aluminium doors, bonnet sides and bonnet. I would like to present the car to iva looking completely finished, rather than I'm going to take it apart straight away to have it painted.

I don't have the funds for a decent paint job at the moment, so I have been thinking about attempting to vinyl wrap the car my self, all the panels are fairly straight forward, minus the rear panel which had a whopping spare wheel well in the middle of it.

Has any one any experience in wrapping and could advise on which stuff to use ? Can it be done at home or should I leave to a pro, or do I not do it completely and paint the thing?

Guest 2b cruising

If you are definately going to paint it after IVA, can you come up with a colour that will suit the bare bits.

Looks are not part of the test, even if the examiner thinks it a little strange.

That way the very awkward shapes won't need doing and it would not cost much for a temporary job.

You would also get your car on the road much quicker, ready for,early spring.

Guest mcramsay

I know looks are not part of the test, but I would prefer to show a finished car, than one that looks like I still have work to do. It seems a lot of iva is down to the examiners point of view.

Guest Gargoil

I have only wrapped the front wings on mine, but it was enough to realise that practice makes perfect. Loads of tutorials on YouTube, start with the easy bits and work up to the more difficult stuff.

At the end of the day, if it turns out not to your liking, at least you tried.

I agree the examiner will look more kindly on a well presented car than not.

I chose to vinyl wrap my 2B, went well but a word of warning, I did buy a less expensive vinyl and not 3M which is pricey.

I had looked on You Tube and it looked easy using 3M but not easy when I used 'Star Vinyl'

However the final result is not bad.

Have a look at my web site

http://www.johnskitcar.com

Tab 6 The Build and drop down to Vinyl wrap

Hope this helps and good luck with the IVA

John

post-2376-0-78293800-1451582811_thumb.jpg

Guest mcramsay

I am a firm believer of you get what you pay for, decent wrap suppliers are charging 28+ a meter for wrap where as on eBay you can get it for around a tenner... There has to be some quality difference! I will make a few calls in the new year to get prices. i might buy a small section and do one of the front wings. See how it looks and how difficult it is!

Guest mark little

I'm getting my bonnet wrapped next week,I've got some of the cheaper wrap to see if it's any good, if it's not then the company who are doing the wrapping have some of the 3M wrap in stock. I'll let you know how they come on,it's a V8 bonnet with the big vent so it's not a straight forward shape so it should test how good the stuff is

Guest mark little

Go for the good stuff, the cheaper stuff is to brittle, there are two different types of coating, carbon wrap and carbon vinyl, it's the wrap that's the good stuff. The finish is excellent I'll add pictures when I sort out how to get pictures from my phone to this post

Cheers Mark

Guest 2b cruising

What's this Bob.

Are you going for the chitty chitty bang bang look.

Got some nice woodgrain Fablon in the loft -- came from Woolworths a few years ago -- should be O.K -- think of all the kitchen tables it covered.