Expansion Bottle

Guest evildave

Guest evildave

Are there any special considerations like height relating to rad for fitting an expansion bottle? Or is it ok anywhere as long as it's 'closed' water gets sucked back into rad?

Guest chris brown

Just mount it where you can but close to the rad saves on plumbing BTW honda do some nice looking bottles but as about all Japanese cars use the suck blow system there is lots of choice. Also make sure you have the right rad cap, one with seal in the top of the cap as well as the normal one.

Guest 2b cruising

Your right Mick.

It must have enough volume for the task.

If not you could be topping up your coolant every time you use the car.

Even at fuel stops when on long runs.

When it overfills the header tank, there is not enough to replenish when it gets sucked back in.

Not wishing to go against your wisdom & it may be Florin is different --- BUT --- a one litre ali cycle bottle is sufficient for her needs -- just make sure the syphon pick-up extends to within a few mm of the base.

If I've done the maths correctly ( for Florin ) expansion overflow shouldn't exceed 0.25 litre raising the temperature from 10*C to 90*C I think that's what I calculated, but then its late.

Edited by florin metal works

My bottle for the ST zetec is an old Fiesta unit, not sealed, suck/blow, tube to the bottom and about a litre. Mounted in front of the rad quite low down. Height not important but pressure cap on the rad needs both seals. Rim and the suck back plunger in the middle.

Nigel

Guest mdav1970

Ditto on the 1L bicycle water bottle, mounted to side of rad with overflow tube going through cap. Worked a treat all last year even in the odd extreme 30 c summer heat. (That one day in the summer)