Weather Warning !

Guest Ian & Carole

Guest Ian & Carole

A government warning said that anyone travelling in icy conditions should take a shovel, blankets or sleeping bag, extra clothing including a scarf hat and gloves.
Also a 24 hour supply of food and drink, a de-icer, rock salt, torch & spare batteries. In addition they should take a safety triangle, tow rope, petrol can, first aid kit & jump leads..

I looked like a right idiot on the bus this morning!

:crazy: :rofl: :rofl: :air_kiss:

Take care everyone.

i looked at the 'foldable' shovels being sold in tescos, presumably ready to dig yourself out of snow, with bemusement. They are pointed shovels!!! unless you are digging a snow hole in 6ft deep snow they are going to be mostly pointless trying to scrape snow from under the wheels of your car. a flat shovel is what you need and even then i'd be surprised if it actually helped as if it's snowed enough you have to dig yourself out then you are unlikely to get far before either the snow stops you or you come across another person unable to drive in snow stuck wheelspinning all over the place.

Bought all-season M+S rated tyres last year when driving to the alps in the bmw so i can smuggly drive around in the snow with a little care.... until i come across another person unable to drive in snow stuck wheelspinning all over the place! (like the 10k french cars in the 6 hour gridlock last year :diablo: )

People should be made to do skidpan training.

At one point a bloke from one of the 4x4s touring the peaks walked past with one of these pointed shovels and used it side on to scrape the snow ice from beneath the tyres of a car stuck in front of us and he them made it up the hill. So they do work used with a bit of thought.

ha i stand corrected, although as you say you do have to know how to use them and i still reckon a flat bladed shovel would be easier :)

i bet most people (present company excluded) don't even know what to do with the traction control. My bmw says to turn it off if the wheels are in snow, i guess so it doesn't cut the power when one spins.

I got home in a lwb transit, nothing in the back and rwd!, a few years ago when other fwd vans couldn't get up the hill. Let some air out the tyres and off i went, Was good fun as i was mostly sideways all the way home :)

Guest 2b cruising

Always brings a smile to my face when seeing traffic stood at the bottom of the hill knowing full well they won't make it.

The some smiling chap comes along with his chains on, big grin on face waving to the stranded.

When they get to the stuck cars and cannot get around them, big cheers go up and one face goes from grin to dim and red.

As my old dad used to say, look before jumping.

My saying is chains are only good if everyone has them.

Edited by 2b cruising

Reminds me of an off road day I went to years ago in an old chalk pit. There was a hill that nobody could get up, not heavily modded landrovers, Suzuki, jeep. I thought I would do it in my forward control landrover with its block pattern tyres and different wheelbase but I got halfway up and just started spinning wheels. It wasn't even a very big hill. Then this guy came in with an old 109 inch series three with 600x16 road tyres three or four kids in the back as if they were on the way to school as normal and went straight up and over the top with no drama.

Remind me never to accept a lift from CMA.