Superspec Suspension

alanrichey

Everyone tells me I should replace the Zimmer suspension units on my Superspec with some decent ones. I am aware that KitSpares do an adaptor plate for the bottom of the front suspension but I haven't seen anything about what you do with the bottom of the rear suspension. As shown in the picture, standard suspension units have the circular bush fitting, but the Superspec ones have a single vertical bolt that goes through the trailing arm.

Image1_zpswuwfhb0p.jpg

Is there a standard fitting that can be used ?

Edited by alanrichey

I got some square mild steel channel, cut out a 2 inch length, then cut out the side that was welded, & bolted that to the

trailing arm. It looks like your pic of the kitspares bracket but without the bottom plate.

http://www.rhocar.org/index.php?showtopic=42902

Edited by Bob Tucker

Hi. Alan

Have just replaced front and back suspension on my 2b+ with gaz units from dampertec spoke with dave he advised rear coil overs for standard road use and average wieght driver 16inch open 300lb springs.I brought mounting shoes that sit in swinging arm wells from kit spares only a few pounds and holes were same as bush insert in damper.but dave does bush liners if you want make your own and reduce bolt dia size. Things i found when fitting mine

1. when i temp fitted damper with out spring attached in bottom of roll tube and let them hang natural in well the o/s one was off centre by 25mm due to frame build /welding .i overcome by making large round plate washer and welding in bttm wells for good seating.

2.Make sure you fit shoe in well to same angle as swinging pivot bolts A MUST also top mount bolt in roll over tube.

3.Don't over tighten bolts through coilovers and shoes just pinch up to allow movment swinging arm axis.

4.use bolts with long shanks so threads don't reck bush linings.

5.when fitting botom shoe in well fit bolts to coilover first really tight for space.Unless you make your own with extended ears.

I have photos of complete build and set to mine if any help let me know i'll post them .

Guest 2b cruising

Also i forgot to add a drainage hole is req,d to bottom of each well.

i thought the Sierrs rear swing arms were double skin, with the top pressing just pressed down to the bottom skin to form the spring well.

I was of the opinion that might be why Ford didn't have holes in them originally.

If this is the case, it might be better to weld the bottom brackets into possition leaving the pleanty of air to dry the serface economy.

If water got into the unit between the skins, how would it get out.

Only my opinion, but Sierra rear ends are getting to be a rarity.

Off-setting the bottom mount can be done with-out completely covering the existing hole, sideways re-positioning of the "U" bracket necessary for Gaz shocks need only be made from 3mm steel -- off-set of 25mm is probably the max possible if still remaining in the bottom of the cup.

Guest Ian Maycock

I have just replace my rear suspension and made my own mounting brackets for the bottom. All of Jako's point are valid. One thing I did to save on having to use two spanners to fix the bottom mounting bracket was to weld the bolt in position through to whole so when tightening from underneath I didn't need a spanner on the other side to stop it turning.