Pinto Fan

Guest jasper3

Guest jasper3

Can anyone tell me which way the thread on the big nut behind the fan turns! I have the water pump held but unsure which way to turn its tight! its off to the bin and being replaced by a nice new electric one! Cheers

I'm not really a big fan of the Pinto.

i think the OP was asking about the fan 'On' the pinto not about being a fan 'Of' the pinto...

they are pretty heavy engines and designed in the 50's but pretty hard to kill and make a lovely noise.

i had heard figures up to 5bhp being used up by the thermo-viscous fans but don't have proof other than turning a fan must use energy and even when the engine wasn't hot they still turned. Prob not so important on a stage 1 2ltr but on my 1.6 i need everything i can get :)

I just used the one supplied with my kit which isn't all that big and i don't even have any cowling around it at all (even removed the plastic that it came with) and never had an overheating problem.

Every little counts. I took a mechanical fan off a landrover once and replaced it with an electric one. It was an ex-military fitted for radio one so was already turning a whacking great 24v alternator and the fan had about ten blades designed for every possible temperature. The difference was really noticeable when you touched the throttle, much more snappy. I think I read somewhere that the alternators fitted to those landrovers absorb about 5hp!

Guest 2b cruising

When set up as a coms unit they run lots of the time on idle.

Even when using 2 or 3 large radio transmitters this kept the batteries up to voltage.

Also why such large fans.

Quite easy to bring back to 12v though. As long as you had a donor 12v one handy.