Running Very Cool

alanrichey

Now I am have a real-time readout of my Superspec engine parameters I can see that my multiple 'fixes' to the Cooling System have been rather too successful :) Just took her out for a long run and the temperature rose nicely but topped out at just 143F (62C), I thought engines were supposed to run at nearer 90C ?

Is that low enough to cause excessive wear to the engine ? I assume the thermostat must be opening at the temperature as the top hose is hot. Or maybe the thermostat is stuck open ? The air temperature was 14C, not sure how much effect that has ?

Depends on the engine but cool is good for power not so good for emissions and condensates in the oil

The old school fix was to block off some of the radiator

If ecu thinks the engine is to cold it will over fuel

I am guessing you may have carb's with Auto-Choke (possibly Webers).

If so the choke may not be fully opening at the cooler temp's and using the extra fuel.

You can take off the air filter after a run and see if the butterfly is fully open.

But hopefully a new thermostat will fix it :)

Guest mower man

I am guessing you may have carb's with Auto-Choke (possibly Webers).

If so the choke may not be fully opening at the cooler temp's and using the extra fuel.

You can take off the air filter after a run and see if the butterfly is fully open.

But hopefully a new thermostat will fix it :)

Its a rover engine on electronicaly controlled injection the low temps will be tricking the ecu mick

Guest 2b cruising

You are right to follow the tstat route but if that doesn't work, follow Micks lead.

Some older classics used to come from the factory with a grill cover that you could completely close on really cold days.

Just curious, what temp does your fan come in.

If that is to low it can keep your temp down below optimum.

If you are using synthetic oil, don't worry about premature wear. It should not happen.

Just as already said, extra fuel.

Edited by 2b cruising

Fan not a player in this situation, it's electronic and the original sensor is broken so I have a manual switch and an adjustable sensor fitted and at the moment the sensor is set way up high. Once I get the engine running at a reasonable temperature I'll set it to 5 degs above.

Fitted the new thermostat and just took her out for a 10 mile run (It's pretty chilly out there :)) Temperature rapidly climbed to 195F and then stayed there for the rest of the journey. Sitting in the garage at idle the temperature climbed to 230F but once I switched on the electric fan it dropped back down to about 210F and sat there. So it looks as though the old stat was either faulty or just rated too low (It was closed when I took it out so it wasn't stuck open).

So it's all looking very promising, only time will tell how she works in the heat of summer. Mind you, I can always put the old thermostat back in :)

• 2 months later...

Al a bit of card board and some gaffer tape adjust amount till temp is correct when weather improve take it off simples and cheap as can be mick :crazy:

Turned out engine was stabilising around 75C, which was still a bit too low. So as usual I followed Mick's advice (never let me down yet :)), although I do remember doing this on my Morris Minor in the 60s.

image6_zps2jxrt10b.jpg

Couple of pieces of cardboard covered in baking foil, looks really smooooth :) And she is now running at a steady 85C. Fingers crossed.

Al

• Like 1

Guest 2b cruising

You could at least of painted it Alan.

You could get proper shields with different size opening flaps in the old days.

However get a t stat and solve the problem on a permenent basis.

Should still run at the same temp hot or cold weather.

Hence temp controlled fans.

It might take some experimenting to get perfect. Fan size, speed, temp switching etc.

The rad blanking used to take place near to the rad.

You might still find too much air flow at comfortable driving speed.

That would depend on your air ducting.