Speedo Cable Snapped

Guest mdav1970

Guest mdav1970

Hi,

Any advice from anyone who has had the cable snap at gearbox end leaving the end of the metal cable stuck in the Speedo drive connector?

I thought being metal I could prise it out with a magnet but that's not working. I don't want to attempt to tap it out as really no room. I have a n inspection cover in the driver's foot well already so can get to it easy enough just no room to get a drill bit in straight.

Thanks.

you wont drill it, as it is only pushed into plastic

there is a cover on the opposite side of the gearbox, that keeps the plastic drive in place... remove that and you will be able to remove the gear and the snapped off cable

Guest 2b cruising

+1 as above.

Once the drive gear is out you should be able to drift out the broken cable and refit the drive to gearbox ready for the new cable.

Unfortunately this is quite a frequent fault with the Robins.

Because the tunnel is so narrow it makes the bend of the cable going into the gearbox too sharp.

2 alternatives I know of are, fit a 90' drive into the box. Quite easy to get hold of but also quite expensive. Stoneleigh trader stand should be ok for one of these. They are not Robin Hood specific.

The second way might be a little cheaper with used parts. An electronic drive of the propshaft and a new or used speedo head.

Other than that, before fitting the cable, work some thick battery grease into the outer cable at the gearbox end.

This will help hold the gear oil that is fed into it from the gearbox.

Hope this helps you one way or another.

Ken.

Guest mdav1970

Hi,

Thanks both for your help with this.

Just done it.

Had to cut out an inspection panel now to the passenger foot well tunnel as well as the one i already had on the drivers side, so i could get to the inspection plate on the gear box. This has taken me a bit of effort to knock out as it was well stuck in and took a lot of bashing at angles to prior it out of the hold. Plastic gear came out easy and then as suggested i just knocked the broken piece out.

Now i just got to reassemble the lot and fix the inspection hole i cut into the passenger side tunnel in a proper inspection plate.

Thanks again for both your help.

I run the cable straight out of the gearbox through the tunnel side.

I have a false floor in the drivers side and run the cable under this and up the side of the car with gradual turns all the way to the speedo.

Lasted 65000 miles so far.

• Like 1

Guest mdav1970

i have run the old one through the tunnel and then use a 90 degree elbow i made to angle to cable into the drive. Just having trouble getting the metal end of the cable into the square plastic hole. I will probably take the drive back out and make sure the hole is easy to slip in and out of....no puns required.. :crazy:

Guest 2b cruising

Lots of grease can help in these matters. No pun intended.

You should have enough room to start feeding the square cable into the drive before pushing the outer cable onto its mounting.

yeah my speedo started jumping a bit and i didn't want to take it out the gearbox so just pulled the inner cable out and gave it a good clean and greased it good and proper pushed it back down the cover and it runs as smooth as anything again. obviously not very useful to the original question but if anyone has a slightly twitchy speedo either grease it or replace it before it breaks off and you have to do the above.

I have a false floor in the drivers side and run the cable under this and up the side of the car with gradual turns all the way to the speedo.

Makes our 40k seem like a stroll round the garden.

Guest chris brown

it's definitely the best way to do it mine had done well in excess of 50k when I sold it with no problems at all.