Membership

Guest tom-zero

• 2 weeks later...
Guest tom-zero

Thanks everyone it's going ok made very little progress last year there isn't much more to get done now and there was a few jobs I had been putting off like doing the interia trim on tunnel panels as I new I wouldn't have the paitence or skill to make it look good so my dads been helping me and done a nice job of it kinda got a bit of motorvation for me to carry on. On the plus side while I haven't been working on the car I've still been saving the same each month so have enough to finish it I hope.

I wanna take the car to gbs for final check over iva and registration then when that's done get them to fit the screen wipers and weather gear and set the car up for me has anyone an idea on a rough price I emailed them last year and got an idea on price of iva etc and I know the costs of the weather gear and screen but understandably they couldn't really quote me without seeing it. Would a days labour be realistic ?

Tom,

seriously, forget the weather gear

it cost me £400 plus and I only ever used the roof once going to Stoneleigh in May

2002, after registering it in March 2002, and the doors whenever my wife came out with me

(Not often!!!)

I have biggish wind deflectors, and a home made surrey top....& I stay dry in any weather.

• Like 1

Guest tom-zero

I've always had in my head to go full weather gear just so I can use it all year round. Maybe it's worth me looking into a Surrey top if they keep you dry. What exactly is a Surrey top ?

This is the fancy version....

http://www.softbitsshop.co.uk/gbs-zero-half-hood-standard-chassis-815-p.asp

But a DIY version made from ripstop nylon (kite material) of boat cover material

can be far simpler. It pops onto the top of the windscreen surround, across a folding bar,

then strapped to the back of the car for tensioning.

Search on the forums I'm sure its been covered in detail before.

I have a full hood for my Zero and I haven't used it for a long time (possibly 3 years!). I have a half hood that was made for me by Soft Bits for Sevens and it is much better. It takes a minute to put on whereas the full roof takes a heck of a lot longer. The car pictured in the link above from Bob is actually my car :)

Tom, GBS put my car through IVA.

Cost wise depends on the amount of work (or not) they have to do, so it's best to be super critical yourself.

Simon will go over the car with you against his checklist, so it pays to be there for this.

I've only used my weather gear once (apart from the doors of course), so consider cost v benefit as suggested by Bob

Guest chris brown

I also only used my full weather gear once or twice - horrible as someone on here once put it "it's like driving in a tent looking through a tear" - get or make your own surrey top after IVA with a awning rail across the top of the screen that way you will keep dry. I used to use my car all year round and never had a problem with getting wet no matter how hard the rain.

I'll second that. After fitting perspex wind deflectors I tried driving in the rain using just the wet-weather top and leaving the doors off and while I wouldn't describe it as pleasant, it was certainly a huge improvement. I now use the doors only if I am parking up overnight and there is a risk of rain.

I drove home from the gransden air show in quite heavy rain with no roof on and the only bit of me that got wet was my right leg where the water came off the front wheel, crept up the side of the car and came over the sill. I put the car in the garage straight away and checked the inside of the car and it was quite dry, most of the water blows straight up the screen and over the car. Would have been a different matter if i had been stationary in traffic though. There are now a pair of mudflaps waiting to be fitted in the garage, these should help stop stones being thrown around too.

The others are right, get all the other stuff done first and then decide if you do need the wet gear as it involves a lot of expense. A good coat would probably be a better idea!