Mrk1 Sierra Column

danielbrookes

Evening, hopefully an easy one. There's a Mrk1 column, coweling, switches and shaft on EBay at the moment which looks pretty reasonable. My question is will this fit my zero gt? I am assuming it will.

Also, I am building a new plate car and without screwtonising the iva rules right now - I am assuming irrespective of whether I get a refurb from gbs or eBay, they are both technically second hand so will be the same net result as far as IVA goes?

Thanks,

Danny

IVA don't care if new or used. It's registration that do. For a new Reg you need all new parts, but one can be used and reconditioned to as new. Otherwise you can use a single donor for all major components and get an age related plate or not use a donor and get a Q plate.

• Like 1

Thanks, sorry not iva you're right. I am building with all new parts as I want a new reg number, not age related or q. I've read a little on what's allowed to be reconditioned but quickly got confused. My logic though is that it's not possible to buy a new steering column, only reconditioned so I am thinking what's the difference between gbs reconditioned and somewhere else.

I'll keep looking on eBay as there seems to be a few bargains about.

Edited by danielbrookes

Wouldn't have thought IVA or Registration would be interested in something as minor as switches being new or refurb. Always considered that it was all the mechanics of the car needed to be new with only one major part of power train being second-hand/refurb.

Guidance says

"You can register a kit-built car, motorcycle or tricycle with a current registration number if you can prove its all made from new parts supplied by the manufacturer.

You can also get a current registration number for a kit-built car, motorbike or tricycle built with one reconditioned part if:

you can show that the part has been reconditioned to an as new standard, in line with the manufacturers guidelines

the part isnt the chassis, monocoque bodyshell or frame"

https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-registration/kitbuilt-vehicles

DVLA won't care about lack of availability of parts, so by the letter of the rules, you can't use any second hand parts except for your one allowed reconditioned part. I am sure there are people out there who have got away with it, but it does mean lying on your application. Remember if you apply as a kit built car and they don't agree it's all new parts, you will get a Q. My understanding is they are much more forgiving on issuing an age related plate.

• Like 1

Hmmm. Its kind of open to interpretation. Are there any alternative new columns I can use, for example Ford Focus? I dont understand how its possible to get a new plate without an alternative to the Sierra steering column. Appologies for the questions I just want to get it right.

I understood you only need a few (all?) of the main items (engine, gearbox, diff) to be new/reconditioned-as-new to get an age-related plate. Things like the steering column are not considered...

EDIT: Doh! sorry, I meant 'for a new plate'...

Edited by nelmo

The DVLA web site appears to have been updated since I last looked and there is now a clear distinction between kit-built vehicles (new registration) and kit-converted vehicles (age related plate).

If you buy the deluxe kit from GBS (for example) and source all parts from them (the manufacturer) then you can get a new registration.

The more traditional route of basic kit and single donor puts you in line for an age related plate.

https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-registration/kitbuilt-vehicles

Normally when a government department makes things appear clearer they have actually made things stricter so I can well believe that a second hand steering column will stop you getting an age related plate, although I know of no examples of it happening.

The answer is that if you want a new car in terms of registration number then buy from the manufacturer (in this case GBS).

Out of pure devilment it occurred to me that Kit Spares may be a separate legal entity from GBS and not therefore technically the Manufacturer however I have checked and it (Kit Spares) is a trading style of GBS so all is good.

Edited by ozz

The O.P is after a NEW plate, you are correct for age-related.

Sorry, I meant for a new plate... don't you just need a few 'new' bits?

I bought my engine from GBS (really Ford) but the gearbox and diff from other companies and I've got invoices to show they are fully reconditioned.

The government website says 'all new parts' but how would that ever be true for any kit car company, even the likes of Caterham?

Edited by nelmo