Pinto Dizzy Wiring

Guest jasper3

Guest jasper3

Now then! does any know if the little black module is needed on the sierra loom?I seem to have more wires than needed it just a standard set up to me! I am making a new loom up and just wondering whats its for!any ideas before its in the bin!

There are 2 or 3 wires to the distributer

earth (brown) not always fitted at distribter end.

Signal 1 green/yellow

Signal 2 black/red

coil - and tacho green

coil + Switched 12V Black

Earth Brown

note there are 2 earth connections

Here's a copy (attached) of the Vicky Green loom drawing as a .pdf that shows the Ford Motorcraft amplifier.

There is also wiring info' on this post: http://community.rhocar.org/downloads/wiring/Hoodwire.htm See the "Ign & Charging 2" page that may help.

I have not used the Ford module though as I have an old dizzy with traditional points that seems to work well.

Basically you just take the switched Ignition feed to the +ve of a ballasted coil, then the -ve is switched by the points to ground.

You just need the standard capacitor (condenser) fitted across the points.

Keeps it simple and seems to work fine.

You could also invest in one of the electronic ignition modules that fits inside the dizzy, but beware they can cause issues if you want to take the rev counter feed from here.

It is not an issue if you have a rev counter output on the alternator.

vicki_green_pinto_wiring_loom.pdf

Guest jasper3

Vicky green loom is a good help! It seems to be wired as the diagram says it is the wire that goes to the starter thats not wired to anything! It looks like there is a live spliced into the coil so it must be getting a feed from it! Thanks again

Guest Kitcarkris

I am at the exact same stage regarding wiring but have the distributor as the picture below, it only seems to have 1 wire out, how does this work with the motorcraft unit?

post-13323-0-24814500-1457171307_thumb.jpeg

Edited by Kitcarkris

Agree. Kris There should be two wires to the contact on the dizzy points. One goes to the capacitor shown on the outside of the dizzy pictured, presumably the black wire in the picture.(The body of the capacitor is earthed by being screwed to the shell of the dizzy). The other goes to the negative contact on the coil. The coil gets its power from an ignition live source to its positive terminal.

Nigel

OK Pic of a points distributor (from an old V8 and with the capacitor inside the dizzy) which shows the connections. One from the capacitor and one from coil neg, combined onto the sprung end of the moving point arm. No other wires needed. Note that the moving arm is electricaly insulated from the base plate of the dizzy and the wire connections are insulated from the fixed point arm but do connect electricaly to the spring. The only route to earth from these wires is through the points when they are touching. This make and break between the points is what 'fires' the coil.

Points fixing and adjusting screws not present and the braided earth wire not connected at one end. It should be held by the points fixing screw.

post-21-0-17211300-1457179682_thumb.jpg

Edited by Longboarder

Guest Kitcarkris

That's great Nigel, much less wiring than anticipated, although once through IVA, think I will regret saying that as I swap for twin 40's...