Bonnet Scoop/new Bonnet

Guest jelleyhead

Guest jelleyhead

Hi i have just got around to lifting my engine the reason for doing this is because the sump is so low and hitting the road every now and then i have only came up 10mm but it is enough to make the engine hit the bonnet i can still get the bonnet on but it's pushing the bonnet up so should i put a scoop on or make a new bonnet a new bonnet would give me a better finish as i have a gape all the way around i had this before I lifted the engine have a look and see the pictures the one with the spirit level on the bonnet is were the engine is hitting the bonnet so this is were i would be putting the scoop any advice will be appreciated also were would be best to get a scoop from or some sheet to make a new bonnet thanks in advance post-13207-0-68995800-1457799538_thumb.jpgpost-13207-0-73627300-1457799731_thumb.jpeg

Guest 2b cruising

It looks like the gap is a lot worse at the front area.

You can get a scoop from car builder solutions that would suit.

It is nearly th full width too.

Steve from Stockport has fitted one on his vauxhal engined car.

Have a look at any of his posts as it is his signature picture.

What engine do you have and what is your ride hight.

Guest jelleyhead

My engine is the ford 2ltr dohc 8 value it's the front of the rocker cover thats on the bonnet . As for the ride hight all i can say is the sump is 4" from the floor and the bottom of the car is 7" from the floor if that helps

Guest jelleyhead

Just had a look at scoops on carbuilder solutions they are self Adhesive do they stick ok or can you get some self tappers in there to help hold it

Guest 2b cruising

Yes I know your difficulties.

I run a2b Dohc.

It's a very deep and long sump.

Mine is only around three inches off the road.

I've luckily never hit the road yet but always take care.

I never straddle tyre marks on pathways.

Speed humps I always take so two wheels ride over it and keep the other two on the flat road.

If I were keeping the engine in I would cut and shut the sump so it would not be so deep.

It is also a very heavy engine as well as virtually untuneable.

Guest jelleyhead

I did think of doing the sump but i am same as you i want to put a different engine in but that will happen when i have funds to do so Or when her indoors let's me spend that sort of money ???

Guest 2b cruising

Keep the bonnet on and she will never know.

If swimbo drives it just tell her you have put new spark plugs in.

I still like the Dohc for the torque going around roundabouts foot flat down in third.

You have to be ready to stop it going into a spin though.

Sideways is brill. Even with lsd.

Keep the bonnet on and she will never know.

If swimbo drives it just tell her you have put new spark plugs in.

2b cruising, you are a very naughty boy!

Jelleyhead, I found a scoop at carbonmods - http://www.carbonmods.co.uk/Products/Carbon-Fibre-Kit-Car-Bonnet-Scoop__CMBSCLG01.aspx

It certainly solved the problem when my Honda engine stuck through the bonnet. It needs some sika flex to old it down. At the front, where the greatest protrusion is, it gives about 60mm extra clearance.

Good luck

My 2L DOHC ended up with a shortened sump. -(original picture) just cut straight across the bottom where the web is and welded a plate on. The bonnet need ed a bulge - missus baking tin with smooth corners inverted - The top of the front of the engine touched the bonnet , just used it as another bonnet rest...

post-971-0-03176300-1458572523_thumb.jpg

post-971-0-63525400-1458572546_thumb.jpg

post-971-0-21340700-1458572597_thumb.jpg

Edited by Graham B