French Driving

Guest peter2b2002

Hi yer the breathalyser thing never became law but I still carry one as if not the french police will get you on something

my job means I spend on average 4 days a week in Europe (just off to Switzerland in morning for two weeks)

but the speed traps are becoming more and more

I find it best to just set the cruise control and just sit there

Guest jhfozzy

According to "the internet" it is still law, but the penalties were never set out, so they couldn't fine you anything.

As mentioned, it is always worth carrying a pair as they are very picky. A pair of hi-vis vests behind the rear seat headrests to show you are aware of the rules also helps to prevent a pull.

i drove down to the alps last week for some skiing. French drivers are crazy leave a numberplate thickness between you and car in front and you have a clio in between before you can blink an eye. Saw a discovery with english plates towing a trailer at 80mph, flashed him to come in and he didn't thank me. odd i thought. until i stopped behind him at the petrol station and went to ask him which was the diesel (as it was label gasoil) and he was a french chap.

the journey back was pretty awful as there was heavy snow in the morning and took me 2 hours to get out of the driveway. I broke 3 snow chains (had to buy an extra set) for some reason kept throwing the one on the drivers side. i had no idea why. The bloody french were as helpful as a chocolate teapot, mostly driving at me whist i was trying to put the chains back on. I was clearly stuck. my arms were round the wheel trying to get the chain back on and a french guy comes up and is like 'can you move your car we need to go in and out of here'. i wasn't having a picnique!!! i asked if he had a spade or shovel and he reluctanctly went off and came back with a pair of pliers??? so i was like 'um no'. eventually i got it back on and moved down the road a bit to get a run up at the hill. almost made the top and threw the bloody chain again. Thankfully the van that came up behind was a british guy and although he didn't do much he was happy to push a bit and wasn't in a rush. Drove down most of the mountain and it came off again and was damaged?? so had to continue with just 1 but thankfully the roads were pretty cear by then.

drove up through france and hit a blizzard so followed ploughs on the motorway at 25mph.

missed the ferry at 11.15pm and had to sleep in the car until the 6am ferry.

moral of the story... get a plane.

Guest 2b cruising

Called to a breakdown on the outskirts of Calaise.

Arrived at the truck that had been there for a good two hours.

Jacked over the cab and a towing the truck pulled up.

To late I said, very nearly finished.

Out came his phone.

10 minutes later, just jacking the cab down and a police man turns up.

I was arrested and had to follow him in my van to the nearest Nick.

Another copper that could translate told me I had been arrested fo working on the side of the road and stopping a recovery vehicle from doing its job.

I informed him the vehicle was not in a dangerouse possition and that it had already been there for a minimum of 2 hours.

I asked what would happen if I refused to pay, he pointed to the cells and he said you will not be leaving here until either you or your company pay the fine.

180 euro thingies later and I'm back on the road talking on the phone to the driver. Found out they would not let him drive it until it had been recovered first.

Big unnessasary bill went to his company. Once explained and a show of my paperwork on the he arrest and fine were showed to them they actually got there company solicitors on it claiming for loss of earnings and payment for late delivery as stipulated on the contract.

Don't know the full outcome but I hope the copper got a good boll oops telling off.

hahaha perhaps. although it was quite clear i was struggling and trying to get out of the way. 2 cars literally just drove at me and i had to get out the way or be hit as it was only 1 car width space. would love to know what i was doing wrong on that one wheel.

We saw the same french guys hit a car in the same place earlier in the week when they forced the other car up on the wrong side and it lost traction and touched bumpers. We watched from our apartment as they mostly ignored the angry woman.

The more annoying thing was that it was a stupid audi a4 2010 with an electric handbrake. Everytime i stalled it i had to put my foot on the clutch to start and then to release the handbrake on the brake. Stall. start over. ahhhhh just give me a normal flipping car!

I tried second gear but it was having none of it.

Guest 2b cruising

I know the dangers of working roadside.

After 15 years breakdown man for ERF and then MAN, I saw quite a few bad things.

It used to scare me as people rubber necking didn't realise the steering wheel used to follow there heads.

I've had a truck side swiped by another on a couple of occasions.

Always used cones on a taper nicking as much of the live lane as possible.

I've had coppers close a lane behind me and they still can't stop heading towards you.

A friend of mine had just finished a job, got the paperwork from his van and jumped into the cab of the repaired wagon.

As soon as he sat down wham. They were pushed along 30 meters into the ditch and trees.

His van shrunk to half length between the front truck he had just fixed and the one that hit his van in the hard shoulder by a full width.

Very lucky guy.