Oil Pump

churchy

Hi all, I have fitted air blast oil cooler with a temp thermostat to my pinto engine and was wondering if the oil pump would be OK or should I upgrade to a high pressure and higher flow rate unit, I have a oil temp and oil pressure gauges fitted to the car. I have not run the car yet with the oil cooler but have always had good oil pressure. Just wondering if anybody can shed some light before I start her up as I do not want to cause any damage, PS I have primed the pipework and cooler with oil.

Any information would be appreciated.

Cheers Andy

It's best to get pressure on the gauge before firing up

Best nethod is to pull the dizzy and spin the oil pump but that causes the timing to go out or pressure to drop before your ready to fire unless you have Megajolt

Next step is to disconnect spark and crank until you see pressure on the gauge

If you running an oil thermostat be aware that you need to fill the oil cooler and pipe work or when the oil thermostat opens your oil level will drop

Guest 2b cruising

As you have primed the pipe work and cooler you will be good for starting.

If you wanted to make absolutely sure you could remove the t/stat and fit a blanking plug.

Remove ignition source and crank over till you have a pressure reading then refit the stat and ignition source.

Enjoy your car churchy.

Guest Radders

The engine is good to go. Just make sure your oil level is at highest point on dipstick, start the engine and run for 25 seconds to see if oil pressure comes up. If it does, run it for a minute or so then turn engine off and let it settle for 15 minutes then check your oil level...top up as necessary and off you go. If the oil pressure doesn't come up then turn off engine after 25 seconds and investigate. The pinto engine relies on good pressure to feed the top end but you will be OK for 25 seconds.

Guest mower man

As above kill ign and fuel crank till pressure on gauge connect fuel and spark and fire it up watching gauge carefully ,should be fine! ,this was std procedure when I was building engines for a living , remember oil can be too cool as well as to hot ! :crazy: mick