National Driver Awareness Course

Guest mower man

Guest mower man

Hi after having minor no injury accident late last year I had to take the above course yesterday . I was very surprised and pleased it was completely no stress, no finger pointing, no table thumping experience ,I learnt a a few things and changed a few of my views . There were teenagers to pensioners of both sexes and a mix of races and colours . There is no pass /fail all that is required is full attendance and some participation . After a class room period we all went out with a selection of driver instructors and drove in varying situations not a test but a general drive, town ,country motor way , bypass even busy car parks , any faults were pointed out but not dwelt on , All in all an interesting and worthwhile experience . £150 cost is better than points and solictors fees and insurance hikes and the whole thing nothing to be scared of, if you have to do one go with an open mind, take part and learn. mick

Guest Ian & Carole

I had to do a "Speed awareness" one a couple of years ago and it was a very similar experience.

One thing that did sadden me was..... We were told to "inform" insurance company of course attendance, but not to worry as it "won't affect your premium as you are now a better, more informed driver. !!!!!!

Not according to Admiral !!!! + £30.00 :crazy: :sorry:

Guest 2b cruising

Ian, I wouldn't use them again.

Co'op mocked mine down fresco quote of £376 to £186.

This year it has gone up by £10.

When I phoned Tesco to cancel my renewal last year, they said they could not get anywhere near it.

Mick, it's not the pass or fail that counts. It's whether or not you scored. Oh I am a naughty boy. 😊😄😬

Edited by 2b cruising

A lady on mine thought the speed limit on dual carriageways was 40mph! The tutor was very surprised she'd not been rear ended. She had been driving for 10 years.

Guest mower man

Ian, I wouldn't use them again.

Co'op mocked mine down fresco quote of £376 to £186.

This year it has gone up by £10.

When I phoned Tesco to cancel my renewal last year, they said they could not get anywhere near it.

Mick, it's not the pass or fail that counts. It's whether or not you scored. Oh I am a naughty boy.

The females there were, too old 65+ ,too young 17/18 or too BIG so I :crazy: went home instead mick

Guest mower man

Just to clarify things my course was not speed awareness but after collision on a roundabout the instructors did not put any one down or on the spot , nobody needed it ! mick

Guest mower man

It was taken as route to avoid prosecution i.e. driving with out due care or other charge ,cost £150, no points on my licence so possibly no ins hike[ ?],it may sound strange but I actually enjoyed it , instructors were fair and unbiased esp the guy whose car I drove for the practical section ! mick :crazy:

I went on a speed awareness course (38 in 30 zone, 6am Sunday morning in June)

& found that the limit on all single lane roads is 60 unless posted otherwise.

I always thought it was 50, so now I can drive faster...

But I always take road conditions into account

Guest Bazwaz

Went on a speed awareness course last year. 68 in a 60. Early morning, long straight road in the middle of nowhere. A road I use often and know mobile speed vans are frequently parked up there so no excuse. Saw the van a long way away but he still got me. Latest speed guns are very good apparently. Surprised to be one of the youngest on the course (59).When the class was asked if it was the first time we had broken the limit when caught one lad said yes,he'd just passed his test 10 Mins earlier. Was also told that you don't have to inform insurance Co even if they ask.