Rear Coilovers

Guest clive5550

Guest clive5550

Hi im in the process of converting my rear suspension over to rear coilovers, Ive purchased brackets and a set of coilovers from dave at dampertech. My question is due to the top and bottom bracket not being directly in line, is there a problem if the coilover top and bottom mounts run at 90 degrees to each other. If they are run in line with each other with the arm at the correct running height there is a lot of interference fit on the top and bottom bushes which is released when I turn them to the 90. I have the bottom bracket running in line with the trailing arm but its the top bracket that slides into the roll bar hoop causing the problem thanks for any help clive.

Guest clive5550

Thanks for replies when I say they don't line up they are not out by far but you can see they are not running square and the bolt is nipped in the bush which will probably lead to wear. As soon as I turn the top bracket it releases bolt and it seems to be a better position.The photos from tractor are exactly the same as my set up I just wondered if there was a problem with using the coilovers that way.

Shouldn't both bracket eyes be parallel to the pair of trailing arm bushes ? Other-wise the suspension will bind somewhere in its travel.

And the bottom bracket should fall directly below the top, on our car the bottom bracket, fixed in the trailing arm cup is well over to one side of the centre hole.

Edited by florin metal works

Guest Ian Maycock

I have changed mine from the original suspension to coilovers this winter. I had the same problem. I lined the bottom brackets so the vertical sides were parallel to the swing of the suspension arm. As the bolt on the bottom bracket did not line up with the hole in the suspension arm, and to try and line it up would have obviously created a problem I rotated the bottom bracket until it correctly line up over the hole without it being under tension. Just remember to rotate the bracket on each side in opposite directions so the coilovers are as symmetrical as possible.

Guest clive5550

I think Bobs got it, for the bottom bracket I'm using the hole in the centre of the trailing arms as a securing point I've obviously got to move the bracket over sideways in the cup so I can get both brackets lined up better thanks everyone for your thoughts Clive.

Guest clive5550

Hi kerry that sounds interesting about changing to a rose joint have you anymore info and where did you get them from ? it would definitely help me thanks Clive.