Robin Hood Bad Press!

Guest Radders

Guest Knownothing

I live 200 miles away from my dad who built my car. I periodically saw his progress over a number of years. Over the phone I listened to his toil as he gradually built his kit which had been his dream for many years. I listened to tales of woe about ill fitting parts and videos that missed bits out etc etc. However by sheer perseverance and tenacity despite a limited budget he got it to level where he could put it in for the SVA test. Even then though there were a number of knock backs but he eventually triumphed over adversity and got it through. For this I have enormous respect for my dad. He is by no means a one off as each car built tells a similar story and this respect goes out to you all. With the help of this board even i have solved problems and completed tasks that i never thought possible. What I am trying to say is that someone who judges you by the badge on your kit is quite frankly missing the point (to put it politely).

Guest Peter Kelly

With regard to speed and performance, I guarantee my Hood will either put a smile on your face or fill your underpants.

Pete. :crazy:

Guest 2b cruising

Relax Radders. Mick means no harm whatsoever.

He is just going off his own experiences.

I don't doubt with the correct tuning of engine and transmission that your figures are well achievable.

Mick is right about the difference between 4 and 4.8 though.

It has taken many many years to get any road usable car into the threes and there are very few that can do under three. 😊

Guest Radders

I am totally relaxed....I have absolutely nothing to prove? And I know there is a hundred variables on 0 to 60 times. In fact, Im not overly concerned with the performance of my car...the thread is about why other kit owners slag off Hood's ;-)

Guest 2b cruising

Johns still building needed a problem explaining when we were working on his.

On the phone to GBS talking to the man that used to factory build Robins he was told, when you buy a Robin Hood you are not buying a kit car to put together like a jigsaw or a cater... You are buying something you have to engineer to build.

With that we carried on and in the end shortly after that IVA was passed.

Caterham drivers won't talk to Westsfield drivers. PROPPER snobs.

People that builds reincarnations such as ss100's (engineers) will talk to anybody. Including lonely Caterham drivers.

Edited by 2b cruising

Guest alexpink

I love my S7. It's the only way I could even hope to get into the world of sevens at my age. Robin Hoods really are what you make them; there are plenty of rotters out there which do give them a bad name, not to mention the fact that there is little in the way of manufacturing tolerances or build quality.. But with a bit of care (and a lot of time) you can really make something special. I know every single part of it inside out now.

My car isn't yet finished, as I doubt many ever will be, but its a fantastic way to learn and apply all sorts of different skills and meet some great people along the way.

Guest paul heath

Being new to the robin hoods I read the reviews I was a bit worried but bit the bullet I love my 2b and to be honest cars are only as good as who is behind the wheel and it always makes me smile

i liked my robin hood till it got its arse kicked by an mk indy and a zero (keith / nick) that made me realize that the hood was never going to be what i really wanted so after it got cat c i bought a westfield(ish) with a v8 and promptly kicked some arse back. trouble was it was *bleep* and the worst gearbox of any car ive ever had so i sold that to a german, then came the atomic 170hp bike engined crazy car that that did 60mph in 1st that kicked the ass of any car it went against and one or 2 bikes, sort of liked it but it was a massive pain in the arse to drive on the rd. then came the stylus of them all i like this one the most especially now ive sorted all the problems, very quick, comfortable, nimble and looks great. the only bit left of the car i bought is the chassis, axle and body.

the snobery between marques is silly, what is the measure of the best car? speed, acceleration, looks, comfort, reliability, value? Its different to everyone in my hood days i was after speed therefore it failed. now with my stylus i have the speed, acceleration, comfort, looks and hopefully this year reliability.

If it makes you happy then that is the best car in the world to you.

All i,m really doing is waiting till i can get my hands on 5.7L + cobra then my kit car quest will be at an end...

Edited by DanE
  • Like 2

Guest Radders

Dan...I intend to get a v8 Cobra too. I reckon 3 yrs from now I will have one but I'll love my Rita every minute of every day until I do!!!