Robin Hood Bad Press!

Guest Radders

Well I very rarely drive my car fast....every now and then it does you good to have fun....we were safe and didn't involve anyone else, I won't be losing sleep over it, in fact I enjoyed it. I bet you have never broken a speed limit or a law in your life....hang on, what's that glinting in my eye, oh it's the sun catching your halo.

This maybe the case, however putting the legal and safety aspect to one side for a minute..........

In this thread you've said what you've said about your drag race with another car........and then on another current thread, you've asked an insurance company to apply a discount to your policy retrospectively?? lol

Actively on this site, we have Members from all walks of life, but particularly from the police force, fire dep, NHS front liners as well as solicitors and members representing numerous Insurance companies..........You may want to be mindful of this in future before committing your actions to words on a public forum :) ......no offence meant

• Like 6

Not only do individuals from the emergency services get involved in these sorts of discussions but also the services themselves are very media savvy and I wouldn't put it past the police to have a look through any sort of motoring websites where somebody may put their hand up to an offence. Cambridgeshire fire and rescue service have one person in their control room who monitors their Facebook page all the time beside their normal job and you wouldn't believe the things people put on there. I don't use it myself but my wife does to see where I have cleared off to and for how long I am going to be gone. Then she can decide whether to put my dinner in the oven or in the dogs!

Getting back to the original thread, we all make a choice in why we choose to own a RH, rather than, say a Caterham, or a Westie, I'm sure they all have their advantages and disadvantages. For me it was a retirement project I wanted, and as a former engineer I needed a challenge, and after reading about the HR notorious kit quality, plus it's relative low cost, and the fact that I had never even ridden in a 7 style car before, I decided to take on the challenge and build one, rather than spending a weekend putting together a Caterham, not knowing if I would even like driving one. I found a part built kit on ebay, the only thing done on it was the fitting of the floor panel. It came with rear Cossie axle plus, front hubs, that was about it. As SWMBO didn't want a scrapper Sierra on the drive I sourced engine, gearbox steering etc, from other sources. This project gave me nearly two years of enjoyment, and of course it will never be finished, as mods are still creaping in. The sense of satisfaction when handed the MAC after the IVA, was worth the expense alone, and yes the driving certainly puts a smile on my face. It's not the fastest of vehicles, and is heavy for a seven style car, so what! I have a beemer that will top 140 (evidently), and if I wanted a drag race I could sit astride my Honda to be quick off the mark. After all, unless we take to the track or go abroad we are all limited to 70 MPH, aren't we?

• Like 2

Guest Ian & Carole

I had wanted a Kit car and knew I could never afford a Westerham Caterfield so it came down to a Dutton but I wanted a se7en esque car and up popped Robin Hood.

My kit left the factory one Saturday morning in 2001 along with 100+ others (another reason hoods had bad press, "stack them high sell them cheap" which others could not replicate or dream of achieving) for £1250.00

Lots of blood and skin loss , 3 years later and for the princely sum of £3000.00 I had my Toy, and included in the figure was £500.00 of paint.

img005-2.jpg

The finished article.

Guest mower man

The tear a-s- brigade is in us all at times even in a tin top but advertising the fact on an open forum is iffy and it's no good telling a policeman" the others do it" cos its you he's caught !, as to the orig thread I had wanted a 7 from being a kid ,I had limited money so bought a Hood had 12 years of fun, pain , ear ache, made some life long [hopefully] friends did le mans 3 times with out a breakdown in all 30k + miles of enjoyment , not inc improvements and maintainence [state secret!!] got £300 less than purchase price when I sold it = happy mick :crazy:

I reserve all my "Red Mist" moments for the track.

Everyone there has made the same decision as me

to drive to the limit (whether theirs or their cars).

There are no roundabouts, T junctions, buses, Parcel force vans,

mums on the phone while turning round to shout at their kids,

reps on an impossible schedule, etc etc.

So if there is a prang on a track, tough.

On a road there are families with kids off to see Granny.

They did not agree to take part in your attempt to emulate an F1 driver

and its unfair, illegal, & irresponsible to drag them in to it.

If you want to race, save it for the race track.

PS I chose to build a RH because I wasnt sure I'd be able to finish it.

I didnt want many thousands tied up in it if I couldnt.

Edited by Bob Tucker
  • Like 2

Guest Radders

I did make a reply regarding my previous comments which I considered literate and well thought out but the forum police have removed it.

I will restate it simply. I apologise for posting a comment with a little colour but it won't happen again.

Glenn.

I've watched this thread for a while and all I see from others is friendly advice about not advertising something that could be illegal or dangerous (please note "could") on an open forum. Everybody has broken the law whilst being in control of a vehicle, some more than others.

You seem to have thrown your teddy out, but it is hard to read anyone's meaning in text. I hope you will enjoy the banter on here, and enjoy your car more.

As an aside, I built my Robin Hood because I've wanted to build my own car for a long time and liked the idea of stainless steel. Took me year longer than I planned and 15% more money, but it's mine... and I built it.

Nick

• Like 3

Guest Radders

Steve...I was brave enough. I made a reasonably thought out response but it was removed. What I don't understand is why your post hasn't been removed? Under the rules which were pointed out to me....you have entered into personal remarks and confrontation but your post stays? Bazaar that.

Guest Radders

And Steve....my post wasn't about being big and brave. It was about sharing an experience and trying to have a bit of fun, you know try to make a few people smile. What is the point, what is the point.