Rear Drum Fitting Problem Zero

Guest rodg98133

Guest rodg98133

Has anyone got any drawings for some caliper mounting brackets instead? Just thinking if its not gonna cost too much more I may aswel fit discs now. The brackets are £65 from gbs :-O for a bit of metal lol.

I never felt under braked with the drums, but lets face it discs all round is way cooler, even to the extent that I painted the drums silver so they looked like discs.

You will still need the spacers and I think the adapter plate takes the place of the last spacer.

The real problem will be sourcing the parts from a xr4x4 or cossie sierra unless you go for aftermarket (or someone kind stripping a sierra rear subframe for an LSD gives them to you (how I got them) or someone kind finds them in his bit box and gives them to you (how I parted with them)).

If budget is a consideration you will not be disappointed with the performance of the drums and it may even be easier to get the right brake balance as discs (I believe) can overbrake the rear and lead to embarrassing end swapping without a (fixed for IVA) bias valve.

so quite a shopping list for a disc braked rear.

Guest 2b cruising

I've taken my time sourcing all the parts for my disc conversion. Around a full year.

The cost, along with gift from a friend for the new cable is just under £100.

That's if the brackets off eBay are suitable. They are supposed to fit.

I have a 4x4 rear end so I have a complete spare 10.5 drum brake system.

That is 1" bigger diameter than the standard Sierra.

Edit.

You must however use 4x4 bigger front brakes before using such.

Not that mine are going up for sale anyway.

Edited by 2b cruising

At the risk of more contreversy, recently seen on here, a correction to the above, drum brakes on the rear of a zero are higher efficiency than discs, but within limits provided you use standard brakes, bias and or brake limiters, are very much frowned on at IVA, you can get them through by locking them, but as standard brakes meet balance for road use, it's just more complication you don't need.

• Like 1

At the risk of more contreversy, recently seen on here, a correction to the above, drum brakes on the rear of a zero are higher efficiency than discs, but within limits provided you use standard brakes, bias and or brake limiters, are very much frowned on at IVA, you can get them through by locking them, but as standard brakes meet balance for road use, it's just more complication you don't need.

I did not know that and stand corrected. Thanks KT

"drum brakes on the rear of a zero are higher efficiency than discs" , can you clarify what you mean by this, as brakes when driving or as a handbrake mechanism? I can't imagine manufacturers all using a less efficient system on nearly every car on the road. Disk brakes were invented to improve on drum brakes.