Phase Converter - Please Help

richardm6994

I'm almost committed to buy a bridgeport milling machine which has a 2hp 3-phase motor.

My garage is single phase so I'm going to require a phase converter.

What I've gathered so far is the phase converter needs to be rated for 2hp.......and digital converters are probably better then static and rotary (just going from what I've read - no experience myself)

I've found this on ebay.......

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2hp-1500W-IMO-Jaguar-CUB-Inverter-Single-to-Three-Phase-Digital-Converter-VFD-/152009215455?hash=item2364748ddf:g:hMsAAOSwoudW4A2N

First question is......is this what I need? It says 8amp output (which doesn't sound a lot to me but I don't know if things are scaled down when you get into 3phase supplies)......also the output voltage is 240v......I thought 3 phase was higher voltage (400v)?

Could someone kindly point me in the right direction as I'm a complete novice with this kind of stuff (never dealt with 3 phase stuff before).

Cheers

one other thing to consider is that a lot of older electric motors overheat on variable frequancy drives (VFD)

not normally a problem for intermittant opperation but if used for long periods can result in burnt out motor.

If this a problem fit one or more overheat switches to the motor, one set to 50to60C range to give warning and one set to70C to stop everything.

I run a rotary phase converter that way I have 3 phase 415v and a neutral so my single phase DRO's works on the same supply and I don't have to worry about future purchases.

as for your 240v 3phase it does exist and will power motors that are dual voltage i.e. most modern one's, I believe all VFD's are like this, check the label say's 415/240v 3phase, confuses some people when they buy these motors thinking they will run on single phase!

the rotary I run is a transwave 3hp runs my mill, lathe, plasma cutter, grinder, polisher, etc.

Their not cheep but will run machines with electronic controls etc.

you can make your own there's loads on the internet about them I've started to collect bit's to make a 6hp one to run my big compressor.

I think the Bridgeport motor is dual voltage I'll check mine when I get there and let you know.

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong!!!!!

HTH

Edited by ivorbigun

Rich need to know more about the machine before we can tell you what 3 phase converter to get,

as said above most 3 phase is 415v but you can get several other voltage specs.

most new 3 phase motors will run on 415 or 240v 3 phase. if memory serves me corectly, will have to check when i am at work tonight but the conector box to the motor needs 6 termals in it, if you only have 3 termals its a 415v motor only.

if you have 6 termals in the termanator box the converter above will work.

when looking at convertors make sure it has a soft start, this will start up the motor in a way to limit in-rush current, so you dont get a spike of current and keep blowing breakers and a instance high torque curve on the belt and bearings.

other option is to fit a single phase motor so theres no need to get a 3 phase convertor.

Cheers guys........well the bridgeport has now been bought. Too much of a bargain to say no.

I'm just waiting on a photo of the motor spec plate but in the mean time, this looks good;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-HP-DIGITAL-240V-415V-3-PHASE-INVERTER-CONVERTER-LATHE-MILL-DRILL-/150847498244?hash=item231f362804

Next problem is moving the bl00dy thing into the garage!!!

Moved mine on scaff tube's once I'd hyab'd it through the door but I do have a nice flat sea container floor !

If you can stretch to it I would thoroughly recommend a rotary phase converter one does everything.

VFD'S can only do one motor easily does the mill have a power feed or dro??

Yes it is

looks like you have the English version once you have the serial number you can get loads of info on the Web

and no not outdated just more suitable for running machinary like lathes and mills

have a good look around the internet there are loads of forums to get you better informed

I was going to go the vfd route but changed my mind after a bit of research.

and I could get VFD'S for free then (from industrial ac units )

you don't need a soft start unless you're using a VFD

my lathe is 2hp mill 1 1/2hp and my 3hp rotary runs both at the same time.