Changing Handbrake Cable

maw

Hi amazing RHOCaR people!

My car failed it's MOT today because of a problem with the handbrake:

Parking brake lever has no reverse travel

Rear parking brake recording little or no effect (yet it passed on the machine?)

The MOT tester thought I might need to replace the calipers but surely I just need to change the handbrake cable as it is likely to have become stretched over time?

Sorry if this a dumb question but I'm still learning!

Guest Radders

I would recommend thoroughly cleaning and lubrication as mentioned above. Then check the adjustment, handbrake should lock on with no more than 4 clicks. If you can't get it to that then it's a new cable...not difficult to do.

Thanks all... They're disc brakes.

6-clicks to full lock so certainly need looking at...

I didn't build the car but I'm hoping the discs are off the Sierra donor car (1983 Cosworth) and I can easily get a replacement cable!

Tractor is kindly coming around to help me. :)

I love RHOCaR!

Guest chris brown

Chances are the operating leavers are not returning all the way in the calipers - common problem - before you start changing the cable make sure all is free to move as it should. Also the cable can be adjusted via the plastic nut on the outer but remember cable adjustment is just to take the slack out of cable not to adjust the brakes.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm pleased to say that my car passed its MOT re-test today! Many thanks to Chris (Tractor) for coming over last Sunday and not just helping me but also teaching me loads of stuff!

That is twice he's gone out of his way and helped me! I don't know if there are any RHOCaR awards that I can put Chris (Tractor) forward for - perhaps at the National Event?

A big thumbs up from me to everyone in our wonderful club!

• Like 3