Found It

Snapperpaul

The oil leak

2470EC76-CCC5-44EE-A443-D8575FA938FE.jpg

1494705D-54F3-4B94-A966-978DDB9D2ED5.jpg

Looks like the thin part of the seal picked up on first rotation of the crank and spat out the edge.

I had a lucky break, pulling the auxiliary drive pulley and the cam drive off with relative ease and didn't need to pull the engine out, next weekend I'll replace the sral

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The first "fix"

Several reasons but in simple terms removing the aluminium front housing that holds the crankshaft oil seal because I could not pull the seal out in situ solved the initial problem as I could push out the old one and push in the new one easily.

Then the problems started, refitting the housing with seal in place produced 2 issues

First the housing also holds the rubber sump seal and won't go back unless you drop the sump

I can't do this without pulling the engine out due to S3 engine bay floor.

The seal needs to push on in a straight line this is difficult because sump seal needs to be compressed.

I pushed the sump seal down on the sump and used the housing bolts to pull the seal on to the crank.

276D942E-4172-4E27-BDE3-35B5A6CF44BE.jpg

Remove it all again, remove the oil seal, refit housing without the oil seal.

I checked crank for rough edges, grooves or ridges, used very fine wet and dry to remove a few dings left by previous attempts to get pulleys off and pushed yet another seal into the housing using a steel tube of the correct diameter.

00274FDC-4C59-4ADA-9C39-8CA7E8BF2F2E.jpg

• Like 1

Guest 2b cruising

Hi Paul.

We always used to get crank seals fitted onto a flexible plastic tube that fitted on the crank. This used to guide the seal onto the crank without the chance of flipping the seal lip inside out on the crank.

Unfortunately this was always on commercial vehicles with big cranks.

I think it would be possible to make a good enough one with something like the plastic you get holding the collar of new shirts in place.

Wrap around tight and stick the outer edge so it's a little tapered. This would make it easy to slide the sleeve over, tap the seal in as you have with some tubing then pull the plastic out evenly all around.

Hope this is of help to you in the future. Ken.