Zetec Loom Wiring.

Disco

Hope someone can help.

I am at last wiring the dash to the GBSC wiring loom which I purchased and fitted over the last few weeks and I need to know where I can purchase the correct connector blocks to the guages socket and the auxiliary socket.

I have found that the auxiliary socket is a durite product , but cannot find the make of the 20 pin socket that GBSC use for the guages etc socket.

Could anyone give me guidance as to where to purchase both of the above items?

In antitipation many thanks

Chris Discombe.

Guest 2b cruising

I think they are duty bound to supply a mating pair.

They are good at things like that usually.

01623 860996.

Edited by 2b cruising

Your lucky day, I am at exactly the same stage and I just asked GBS the exact same question.

The 20 pin and 18 pin plugs are special items fitted to the loom by the external company that GBS use to build the loom. GBS have a couple of the plugs floating round their workshop which they would sell for £30 BUT they have been told by the company who do the loom that you need a special tool to fit the pins into the plug and that tool costs £200!

Ive decided I'm just going to chop them off and replace with standard plugs available from CBS.

well that depends if it goes wrong

I assume nelmo has paid for the loom already, he mentions he is going to cut the plugs off so assumes he already has that bit. so he goes ahead, connects the battery and something doesn't work. for what ever reason, manufacture or any other, can he then go back to the supplier of the loom when the correct plugs are available?

Interesting question.

I would have thought that if this was a required product, they wouldn't have bits "floating around the workshop". GBS appear to be very good at selling half a job then only reveal and sell you the other half once you're stuck.

I'm not following on the whole reason why you need this extra plug, surely 2 10pin plugs would be cheaper?

Or as mentioned, just chop it off and do it yourself. I'd imagine there are some connections you've had to do yourself which would obviously "void warranty". Unless you've bought everything from GBS and they are selling a plug and play loom that isn't....hello trading standards...

well that depends if it goes wrong

I assume nelmo has paid for the loom already, he mentions he is going to cut the plugs off so assumes he already has that bit. so he goes ahead, connects the battery and something doesn't work. for what ever reason, manufacture or any other, can he then go back to the supplier of the loom when the correct plugs are available?

Interesting question.

Probably not, but, what's the likelyhood of a loom going wrong? Especially a professionally constructed and bench tested loom? It is for that reason, on the very slim odds of it not working, that saving the best part of £230 is worth it, as the chances of having to pay for another loom because you voided your warranty are slim to none, and the extra costs even you did are minimal. Also, let's face it, any potential warranty claim is most likely going to be met with a rebuttal of end user error anyway.

• Like 1

Probably not, but, what's the likelyhood of a loom going wrong? Especially a professionally constructed and bench tested loom? It is for that reason, on the very slim odds of it not working, that saving the best part of £230 is worth it, as the chances of having to pay for another loom because you voided your warranty are slim to none, and the extra costs even you did are minimal. Also, let's face it, any potential warranty claim is most likely going to be met with a rebuttal of end user error anyway.

I have to agree - I've never been a believer in warranties and if my loom doesn't work (even if I hadn't hacked it myself), my last thought would be to take it back under warranty. I would expect there to be a lot of other potential causes first.

I would have thought that if this was a required product, they wouldn't have bits "floating around the workshop". GBS appear to be very good at selling half a job then only reveal and sell you the other half once you're stuck.

I'm not following on the whole reason why you need this extra plug, surely 2 10pin plugs would be cheaper?

Or as mentioned, just chop it off and do it yourself. I'd imagine there are some connections you've had to do yourself which would obviously "void warranty". Unless you've bought everything from GBS and they are selling a plug and play loom that isn't....hello trading standards...

Bit harsh - GBS have been very good with everything I've asked them. This particular plug is not fitted by them so the fact they have any is a bonus. They clearly sell a sub-loom for the instruments which I am choosing not to buy, so it's my lookout if it's extra work.

I've done as you said, ordered 4 10-pin (in fact, 15-pin) plugs which I plan to just replace on the loom. It's not ideal but my choice and not a huge effort.

Yeah, ok I admit that it is a bit harsh. When I built it was all plug and play and thought it was still advertised as so. I see now its changed to specific manufacturer/area loom and does not state plug and play so take back my comments.

My personal experience with GBS has been up and down. Something's they really do themselves proud but other times they let themselves down which usually revolve around the same issues and include very high costs. I learnt a lot about the build by having a tight budget and doing it myself, so always worth learning so you can fix things if they ever go wrong :)

Well, a partial solution - GBS do a dash extension which has the male 20-pin plug and wires attached for only £28 (the replacement plugs I've already ordered (!) have cost me about £10 but I'm happier to pay the extra to use the original kit).

Annoying that they didn't tell me this originally but I guess there are so many parts, it's difficult to keep track. They really need to get it added to their website...

Still an issue with the similar 18-pin plug for the stalks - GBS assume your stalk plugs will connect straight in (I'm going to check on that - is it likely the Ford stalks fit that plug?). I never managed to get any stalks with wiring so I'm putting all those controls on the dash, so I will need to hack that one. ..

Edited by nelmo