Juddering Setting Off

Guest Dom

Hi,

Just had the car (2B Plus) MOT'd all went through no problem a clean bill of health. When it went in the car had no drive problems and also when i put it in the garage it no problems. I got it out today and when i set off in first gear just after biting point it shakes the whole car quite violently but only in first gear and reverse. I can set off in second and it drives fine. The car is a 2L Pinto engine with type 9 gearbox.

I'm not too sure if it is gearbox or diff issue as it isn't an electrical issue.

Anyone else suffered this issue?

Thanks

Dom

Edited by Dom

Guest 2b cruising

Have a look at your gearbox mountings. Could have broken away from the rubber.

Same with engine mounts.

Propshaft u/j.

Bell housing bolts all round.

Let me know if you find fault or not.

HTH.

Ken

Guest 2b cruising

The cause is most likely an external one as a posed to a gearbox, clutch fault.

Good luck with your diagnostics. It's all a part of the fun as well as growing your mechanical knowledge.

Thanks, can't get back down to the garage till next Thursday but will have a good look round it then.

you don't need to get it up on a ramp just reach under behind the wheels and push and pull the drive shafts they should move in and out a few mm's I had a customers car dislodge a cv joint on the 2 post ramp once gave similar sounding symptoms to yours

good luck

sounds the same as my dads old transit van. Although that was pinto/mt75. Never did get to the bottom of it. Did it for years and never seemed to be a problem as such. Would do just as you described. Normally a few extra rpm would overcome the juddering.

We did wonder about engine mounts but they seemed ok in ours. Figured it was a clutch fault of some kind.

does the clutch pedal engage/disengage cleanly or does it judder at the point it bites. I.E is the cable or pedal bushes catching at that point?

If you put something in the quadrant/under the cable to get it to pull in a different position does the problem go away?

Guest 2b cruising

Oil is one of the causes, but still go over all the external simple stuff first.

Don't want to end up red faced by finding the fault as you have just removed everything. 😡 😄

Edited by 2b cruising

The clutch seems fine when down and all the way back up to the bite point. It's just strange how it only happens in 1st, Also it doesn't matter how much revs I give it, it pulls away juddering loads to about 5-10mph then it's fine.

Could be related to the springs on the friction plate and/or the tabs on the pressure plate, along with poor clutch friction itself (be that because of oil or just wear). So it's grabbing and slipping, grabbing and slipping as the torque is overcoming the (low) friction as you pull away. If the pressure plate wasn't putting constant pressure on during your uptake of the clutch, because of a fault, this might explain it. Once the clutch it all the way up your pressure is established and it's fine after that.

Why is it fine in 2nd? Well, not sure sure, but presume the additional gearing is effectively giving it more to push against and that's settling the plate/faulty part. If the engine mounts are visually fine then I'd get a visual check on the clutch through an inspection hole - turn it all the way round, look for a popped out retaining pin on the pressure plate tabs. If it's the friction plate inner springs then that's most likely a clutch out jobbie. Check the action of the release arm is all good too while you're at it...

I take it no funny noises or anything feeling different through the pedal... :(

The wifes old, most hateful and most nauseating piece of dog doo doo, poor excuse for a trolley on wheels

(Fiat punto) Fix it again tomorrow had this problem, along with thousands of others.

Again, new clutch fixed it.

Andi

I had this problem on a Beemer & a C5.

The fix was brutal, but Hey Ho, if the clutch is shot, nothing to lose.

Loads of revs, in 2nd or 3rd, slip the clutch hard to pull away.

Im not sure why it worked, but the problem was worse in cold weather & I assumed

the clutch needed "warming up"!!!

Offered without responsibility....try it at your own risk...

Had this problem on various cars I've owned. Proved to be either engine/gearbox mounts or clutch pressure plate faulty and once I had to have a flywheel ground on a rotary grinder as it had got slight heat crazing and friction plate was picking up on it. All happened in first gear.