Another Broken Cable

Guest Bobbers

Guest Bobbers

My s7 eats clutch cables , the clutch is rarther heavy and I presume it's going kaput even thought there is no slip or drag when the cables lasting , how will I know if it's a Sierra clutch or cortina item or is it a case of remove it and match it up ?.

Guest alexpink

I believe the Sierra and cortina clutch cables are different- you should be able to easily identify what you have and require with the help of Google.

If you have the Sierra one, it's worth changing to a 2WD Sierra cosworth one; these are longer and can avoid the exhaust manifold much more easily

I,ve had my 3A for 12 years and never had to replace the clutch cable. Its the shorter type that runs between the exhaust manifold. Its got a piece of heat shield material covering the part of the cable near the hot pipes and has never been a problem. The problem, as you suggest, may not be with the cable but with the clutch itself.

Guest Bobbers

Sorry I wasn't very clear I'm using the 2wd cosworth cables , I'm just wondering what type of clutch will be in there it's a five speed if that helps .

Guest 2b cruising

There are still a number of clutch cover plates or pressure plates that are used.

Heavier ones are used in larger engines but fit the smaller ones.

Competition clutches can be heavier still.

You can't see what you have until the gearbox is remove from the engine. Unless of course previous owners have well documented any modifications.

Best cure that will possibly last as clutch plates themselves would be to go hydraulic.

Not an easy job but if I ever have to remove my box I would definately do it.

Easy then by changing master cylinders to get the preferred pedal pressure to suit yourself.

Smaller bore less pressure. Larger bore heavier pressure.

Just mak sure a larger bore would not over stroke your slave cylinder causing it to burst its seals.

It looks like the cortina & Sierra clutches are identical

according to Burtons. You may have a heavy duty clutch cover

which will make the pedal a bit heavier.

http://www.burtonpower.com/helix-hd-clutch-cover-ford-sohc-pinto-2-0-215mm-60-2851.html

I changed to the Helix equivalent for a Redtop & it was ceratinly heavier than the standard one.

Where is the cable breaking? Is it always the same place?

Most likely reason for cable breakage is that the inner cable doesnt line up

properly & is rubbing on either the edge of the outer cable,

or a part of the bellhousing, or somewhere at the pedal end.

Guest 2b cruising

I have heard of one box coming out on its own. Unfortunately can't remember who's when or what car, engine, box combination.

Jack it up and onto stands. You would than be able to tell what has to be done quite easily.

Engine out is not really that big a deal if you have or can borrow a hoist.

Guest Bobbers

First time the cable snapped over a bolt fixed into the ratchet fitted to increase throw this time the nipple broke off , cable was cheapest on e bay so perhaps poor quality. The cable pulls straight and is away from the exhaust ,I just think the pedal is heavy so was going to change the clutch but taking the engine out would be an arse due to no crane I will have a look see if it can be done without

Running the cable over a bolt isn't a great idea to increase the cable pull, options are to get a bigger clutch quadrant ie one with a shallower groove that will increase the pull, they're available in 45, 50 and 55mm sizes, put a strip of aluminium over the groove or a piece of copper brake pipe in it, or space out the tube where the cable enters the pedal box as this will give more cable pull too.

Mick will know whether it's an uprated or standard clutch that's fitted.

• Like 1