Pinto 2.0 Engine Knocking

Monty_CZ

I'm assuming you've re-checked your rockers / valve clearances

could it be a crack in the exhaust? it might open up when warm, which could explain no noise when cold.

Camshaft rotates at half crank speed so should be able to narrow it down to top or bottom

Screwdriver on the rocker over and ear on the handle will pin point it

Kent cams spray bar has larger holes for more oil flow

You've replaced that one with a standard ford spray bar

Snapperpaul: ooh nooo! Well that's what I did. New spray bar has small holes. Old spray bar had bigger holes. I still have it in my garage so I can install it back.

So the question is, what have I destroyed. I will get into my garage later this week. I will remove the valve cover again and I'll try to inspect what could it be.

Guest old_timbo

I reckon its a large clearance on one valve. If it only happens when the engine is hot perhaps you have a sticky valve that doesn't close once it is warmed up. Might even be a broken valve spring.

Guest 2b cruising

Take the bloomin head off and strip out the cam.

All this fuss and you've got a job to do.

Not saying yours is the same as the one in film.

If you watch and listen to that, you can see it is only on cam full rotation not half rotation.

If yours sounds just like it, start your stripping out mate. Unfortunate on that engine to take out the cam with engine in, you have to put a hole in the bulk head.

• 5 years later...

Vacuum advance is for economy.

The only thing that suffers disconnecting it is MPG. How much if suffers depends on how you drive, if you drive flat out all the time then vacuum advance makes no difference, if you pussey foot around then 10 to 15%.