Alternator Led Warning Light

Guest mcramsay

Guest mcramsay

Righty oh, apologies if that came across as argumentative, I genuinely wanted to know the reason! Sadly I can't find a lamp that will match the other LEDs I'm using.

Guest mcramsay

Ok I I bought a warning lamp, and the resistors I mentioned earlier, I want to use the led on the dash as it matches the other instruments. So should I wire the warning lamp I bought in parallel with the led and hide it under the dash or use the resistor? I want to use the option least likely of blowing the led or causing a fire!!!

Guest mcramsay

Well tried with the resistor and it blew the led when I started the car. I managed to drill out the led from the holder and file up a red warning lamp holder so it fitted in the existing led housing. So now it all looks the same but the warning led is now a lamp with a red glow hidden behind the decal . Run out of time tonight but I will give it a go tomorrow!

Guest mcramsay

Still having issues, with the bulb connected it lights up but the alternator does not start to charge and the light stays on. I put a connection straight from the lamp down to the alt to bypass the car wiring. But still the same result. The bulb has a resistance of 30 ohms.

If I take the light out of the equation and put a switched 12v into the alt rather than going through a lamp it all works fine, the alternator charges fine. I'm wondering if the bulb is not letting enough current flow to the alternator? Should be giving the alt 0.4A currently

How did you measure the resistance of the lamp?

Sounds like you did this when cold. This will lead to a false reading as it will be much lower than when the lamp is working and lit.

That would make it a 5 Watt lamp which is too much for an indicator on the dash board and would be as big as a sidelight. What is the wattage rating or can you measure the current through the lamp when attached to the battery?

For 1 1.5 Watt lamp on 13.8 volts (typical battery) You would expect approx 108 mAmps (milli amps) or 0.1 amps.

Hope this helps

Simon.

Guest mcramsay

That makes much more sense, thanks Simon. I got to the bottom of it in the end, the lamp is not giving enough to get the alt to charge. Well it does work I have to rev the engine slightly to get it charging. I will look for another bulb at a later date.

Sounds like normal -- alternator will not give output on idle -- 8/900 rpm -- just try winding the throttle stop screw up a little & the alternator will probably kick in around 1000/1100.

Don't forget to re-set idle though.