Radiator Fan

Guest Jonnyround2003

Guest Jonnyround2003

I have an aftermarket thermostat switch for my fan when I turn the car off it still runs until it cools down any ideas how I can turn it off without taking the bonnet off and just pulling the cable off

Mine does the same or it would do if everything wasn't wired through a kill switch. I never have to worry about leaving the lights on as everything is dead once the key is removed. You could fit one of these, put it out of sight and it is an added security device. They are not expensive.

I have an aftermarket thermostat switch for my fan when I turn the car off it still runs until it cools down any ideas how I can turn it off without taking the bonnet off and just pulling the cable off

I converted my pinto to do this. There is a clever way of doing it (I didnt do this, I went for the easy fix) so that when restarting the hot engine, the fan cuts out temporarily so that all the power goes to cranking.

Personally I would leave it as it is unless its flattening your battery.

Andi

Guest Gargoil

As Tractor says, run a wire from the ignition side to power a relay.

Mine is wired through the kill switch because sometimes I want the fan to run after I have stopped.

Another way is to have the positive side run through a separate switch which you can locate anywhere you want.

The only thing that letting the fan run on after stopping the engine is that it will cool the water in the radiator to below the switched temp, there will be minimal water flow into the engine as the water pump is no longer turning, a small amount of thermal movement is all you'll get. Depending on the fan that you're using and the current draw, you could risk flattening the battery.

Guest 2b cruising

Engines always actually get hotter when you first switch them off for the above reason, lack of flow.

Optimum treatment is to allow the engine to idle for a few minutes before switching off. Even 2 or 3 minutes helps stopping this.

If you are running a turbo it is even more important to do this. The reason however is not only to let it cool down, it is to let it spin down and keep it lubricated while it does this.

It is said by turbo engineers that a second without oil in a turbo is equal to 1 minute without oil in an engine.

This statement was on all new turbo unit instructions when I worked for MAN.

To my surprise it was even on the fitting instructions of a rebuilt one I fitted to my Volvo car about 6 weeks ago.

quite correct ken at the moment I am driving the Mercedes actross and the instructions are to let it idle on start up to let oil get to turbos and then idle for a few minutes be for you switch off to let the turbos wind down but then you get told off for wasting fuel !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Guest snowy2

the fan running on after the engine shut down is actually a good idea...it help cool the engine down gradually and helps prevent "hot spots" and can protect ally heads from warping.....many Renaults are like this from the factory.

Fan cools the rad not the engine.

There is limited to no thermosyphon in our cars ( need a high top to rad for this to work look at austin severn pre ww2 to see how high).

Many current production cars also have electric water pumps where running on can work, unless you also fit electric water pumps only expect this to do what BigJim says to happen to your battery.

any cooling from the fan running on but no circulation of water would be very minimal on my 2b I found that after about five minutes of the fan running on I had to start it up again to get water circulation then the fan would shut off wot a pain