Tuning 1.8 Pinto

Guest Monty2556

Guest Monty2556

My RH came with a 1.8 Pinto. Engine is in good condition, starts first time, no smoke, no rattles. I don't want to break any speed records so I'd be happy with just a mild tune. It already has the usual 4 into 1 exhaust and I've got a 38 DGAS and manifold from a previous project. So:

1. Will the 38 fit into a 1.8. There's a few electrical connections coming off the original manifold/carb which don't appear on my 38 and manifold.

2. Is s 38 DGAS too much for a 1.8?

3. Would it benefit from a mild cam and if so which one?

Many thanks in advance

Guest mcramsay

By the sounds of it you don't want to swap engines but the best upgrade and prob cheapest is to go from the 1.8 up the 2.0. Much more tunable engine

Guest lotusPaul

I agree that upping to a 2.0 is better as a base to build on. However if you don't want to do that then all the standard tuning methods work, you just won't get as much out of it

Port and polish head, cam of 276' duration max.

High power ignition system.

Increased compression ratio

Lightened and balance rotating mass Inc clutch.

You probably wouldn't get over 135bhp so the 38 is maybe too big.

All my opinion as I haven't done an 1.8 in donkeys years.

I'm sure you will get many replies saying to go zetec, better power for the costs involed, I'd agree too.

Good luck

Guest Monty2556

Thanks for the advice. Probably go down the 2.0 route as suggeste but keep the 1.8 for now in standard format until I can find a decent 2.0 Pinto. Migt even look at Zetec!!

Guest lotusPaul

Just as a bit of info, I'll be looking at rebuilding Jim's 2.1 pinto.

All the costs will be the same for majority of the parts and or machine services needed.

So thinking of it, his 300cc extra capacity up from yours should give him in the region of 20% MORE bhp and torque. You can consider this as FREE..

Seems more bang for buck as they say.

Guest mower man

Nothing comes free! head job £300 to £1100 [yes! ] cam and correct followers and valve springs £300 +, proper balance job £? [not had one done for long time ,pistons and machining again ?,decent H/gasket £ 40 . I once sat with a Burton catalog and priced the ultimate pinto ,ok it was very much OT but I stopped at £19k and that was not including fuel and sparks think carefully before getting carried away ! :crazy: :crazy: mick :acute:

Guest lotusPaul

Mower, I think we agree on the same thing here. I'm just saying that yes its expensive so would be better doing a 2.1 rather than the 1.8. The extra 300cc will make a difference.