Midlands Run To Wales 12Th To 14Th August 2016

richyb66

Well it's almost that time of year again and the fifth Midlands run out to Wales will once again take place on the second weekend in August, Friday 12th to Sunday 14th 2016. Anyone that's been before will know the basic format but for any potential newcomers, the destination will be near Nefyn on the Llyn Peninsula in North West Wales for some scenic driving, good natured banter and hopefully some weather like we've had her today. Accommodation is the usual camping or B&B depending on personal choice.

A Friday morning departure allows a more relaxed day out on the Saturday but as not everyone may be able to get the afternoon off, there may be the chance to join us on the Saturday instead if necessary. People travelling on Friday from the central Midlands will need to allow 4 hours driving at a sensible speed (c150 miles) with a couple of stops en-route. On arrival on the Llyn, people usually get checked into their accommodation and then meet up for a few drinks at a local pub.

The driving route Saturday was around 120 miles spread out across the day with a stop off for lunch on the way.

The route on the Saturday was roughly this but I can mix it around depending on what progress we make and conditions on the day:

Saturday Drive

Saturday evening I'm hoping to change the format a bit and I'm currently trying to source a suitable location in the area where we can get something to eat then leave the tidying up to someone else while we head off to the pub. The main reason for this is that parking is getting a bit limited at my place with the group getting bigger each year and I fancy a change of format to keep things fresh. As soon as I've got more details regarding Saturday early evening I'll post them but Ill the BBQ at my house as plan B just in case.

Sunday will be travel home day but there's plenty of options to do other things before heading back on en-route home.

I already have a number of people booked in at their accommodation so places are filling up.Last year's plan to keep the travelling group together by setting a 20 car limit wasn't that successful so this year I'll see how the car numbers go and try and sort out some clearer directions while still keeping the option of varying the route depending on time.

There should still be enough local accommodation available, if you phone to enquire about a booking, make sure you mention youre with the kit car club. If they are fully booked, they may be able to suggest alternatives if they cant take a booking themselves.

If somewhere is fully booked, can you let me know and Ill note it on the thread.

Also, if booking becomes a problem, please let me know and Ill try and look up more places. So far no one has braved the camping option but its still available and theres some great scenic pitches nearby.

Terfyn B and B
Lon Terfyn
Morfa Nefyn
LL53 6BA
01758 721332
http://www.terfynbedandbreakfast.com/

Llys Olwen Guest House
Lon Tan Y Bryn
Morfa Nefyn
LL53 6BT
01758 720493
http://llysolwen.co.uk/

Glascoed B and B
Lon Uchaf
Morfa Nefyn
LL53 6AL
01758 720151

Caeau Capel Hotel
Rhodfa'r Mor
Nefyn
Gwynedd
LL53 6EB
Tel: 01758 720240
Fax: 01758 720750
http://www.caeaucape...l.com/index.htm

Fairway Country Hotel
Lon Ilchaf
Morfa Nefyn
Gwynedd
LL53 6AD
01758 721888
www.fairwaycountryhotel.co.uk

Graeanfryn Farm B and B and Camping
Morfa Nefyn
LL53 6YQ
01758 720455

For camping, as well as Graenfryn Farm, there are a couple of additional options, the first was the site suggest previously (but not actually used). This is in a great spot but access to the lower camping field may be difficult due to ground clearance issues so its probably worth asking the question if they plan on using the lower field. The owner is very helpful and can accommodate most needs. The location is just a couple of minutes drive from Nefyn literally at the bottom of my road.

Penisarlon Farm
Pistyll
Nefyn
LL53 6LR
01758 721553
http://www.penisarlonfarm.co.uk/home

Second option is a bit closer to Nefyn, no website and its fairly small site but its very popular for camping and gets good reviews:

Wern Caravan Park
Pistyll
Nefyn
LL53 6LN
01758 720432

I know a few people have already confirmed their attendance to me but I've got a shocking memory at the moment so if you're not listed below, can you please let me know where you're staying and I'll update the attendance list. As usual, if there's any questions please ask. I'm not on the forum as much as before but I'm online most days. Currently I still finishing some fairly extensive Winter mods and at the moment this looks like it could be my first run out and I particularly don't want to be leading the group in the tin top.

ATTENDANCE LIST.

richyb66 and Jackie

TERFYN B &B

Jez Morton

LLYS OLWEN GUEST HOUSE

Trevor (RedTrev) and Brian
Steve (Thrashed), Dee and Paige

CAEAU CAPEL

Derek and Marylin

Bob (florin) and Mo
Kerry and Sharon

Andi, Claire and Jasper

FAIRWAY COUNTRY HOTEL
Stuart and Sarah
Zach and Tesni

GRAEANFRYN FARM

Martin T, Isabell & Karen, Stuart and Sue

Alan (alanh65) and Steve

Edited by richyb66

Not booked where I am staying, this thread has reminded me I need to do that, but will definitely be there.

Ditto :)

If I get the car finished and teething problems sorted beforehand.....if not, any recommendations for breakdown cover? lol

Hi Ritchie,

Holiday already booked so cannot attend - gutted, can you confirm it will be the second weekend in August next year? I will book family holiday to avoid this date. Don't tell the SWMBO!

I've not really been looking that far ahead but yes, it'll probably be the 2nd weekend in August (Friday 11th to Sunday 13th August 2017). At the current rate of progress, my winter mods might be finished by then.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

This time next wee we should be there so maybe a good time to finalise some details. I have spoke to a few people and we need to get an idea regarding timings and meeting points.

As a starter shall we go for the same timings as last year?

Meet at Dobbies Garden Centre on the A5 at Bayston Hill, Shrewsbury SY3 0DA at 1100 and then continue on to Rhug Farm Shop on the A5 at Corwen LL21 0EH. Arrival time at Rhug should be between 1200 and 1230 so ideal for a lunch stop before continuing onward.

At the moment I know Redtrev is leaving later so there's a chance to travel up in a later group with him (if you can keep up) as he knows the route well.

I plan to meet everyone at Rhug but you'll have to wait and see what I'm in as there's only a slim chance I'll be in the kit. On a more positive, going in the tin top pretty well guarantees we'll have stinking hot weather while I'm sat inside with a roof.

If people still want to come, then now's the time to commit. Accommodation may be a problem unless you like camping but it's still do-able.

Edited by richyb66

I will be at the Copper kettle lay by. Ready to leave at 9.30am if the usual suspects from Cov/leics are coming.Then off to Dobbies.

The Copper Kettle Cafe, Watling St, Atherstone CV9 1RE,

Andi

Edited by Andi