Steering Rack Identification - Help Please

Guest 2B-EVO

Guest 2B-EVO

Hi All,

Please can someone help identify this steering rack?

The pic shows the end where the column joins, the rest of the rack is just a tube and secured at the other end with a clamp - the problem is that its been secured with modified bolts when i suspect that it should be a proper steering rack u-bolt/strap with an anti-slip bracket.

Once i know what rack it is i can order the correct securing bracket.

Thanks in advance

Andy

post-13469-0-26148300-1464120699_thumb.jpg

Guest chris brown

Even if it's a wishbone chassis it could be a lhd mini fitted upside down. Mine was. The mini rack has a finer thread on the trackrods than the ford so the trackrod extender had different thread at each end.

Edited by chris brown

Guest 2B-EVO

Hi guys - thank you for the identification. Yes the car was a sliding pillar chassis now converted to wishbone suspension. So am i now right in thinking that a mini rack strap set should do the job? Or do people just use long leg U-Bolts?

Thanks again

Regards

Andy

I've got the Metro rack on my 2b and I think I used the U bolt from a 3" exhaust clamp and tweaked the shape of it so it fitted around the rack.

I also had to fit wedges between the rack and the chassis to tilt the rack back because the lower UJ on the the rack was at too tight an angle so when the steering was turned, it was notchy.

Guest 2B-EVO

Hi Richy, Yeah the original builder has incorporated a 'rack raiser' bar which lifts the rack by about 40mm probably for the same reason you had to tilt yours to reduce the angle at which the column joins the rack. There is a U-bolt at the column side of the rack but at the other side the bracket is about 15-20mm wide but has been held down with modified bolts as opposed to a u-bolt or u-strap. Since the rack was identified as a mini rack ive had a look on the net and the U-bolt is more of a strap in that the U section is flattened so i may go for one of those but due to the 'rack riser' bar i don't know if the legs will be long enough so may have to resort to an extended leg u-bolt.

Thanks again for the info.