Couple Of Pics - Sliding Pillar 2B Build

FERRINO

Evening all - I've been building my sliding pillar 2B for the last 3 years now. Not done a build thread so far as I didn't really want to bore anyone lol.

Managed to get a few minutes to myself though (for once) this evening so managed to wheel the car out of the garage to see it in the daylight.

It's starting to look a little more like a car it seems - still lots of work to do to finish it ready for IVA though.

20160603_175603_zpsdc7tdfxi.jpg

20160603_181228_zpswjqxylyh.jpg

20160603_181240_zpsmm7amxbw.jpg

Cheers

Tony

Edited by FERRINO
  • Like 5

The wheels are XXR 527 15" x 8.25j et0

They are very wide but very light weight - and surprisingly cheap:-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/261975730070?lpid=122&chn=ps&googleloc=1007033&poi=&campaignid=207297426&device=c&adgroupid=13585920426&rlsatarget=aud-133395220626%3Apla-131843273826&adtype=pla&crdt=0

I've used Haynes Roadster Fibreglass side panels (modded to suit) and a roadster rear panel (cut and widened). The rear arches are off a Zero and the bonnet is Aluminium and was a lucky find on Ebay.

Almost finished the wiring now too. All lights/indicators etc working correctly - just need to finish mating up the EFI loom into it. Got a Koso rx2n 10krpm to finish wiring in yet - once I've finished the carbon fibre dash.

Will post a couple more pics of other bits in the morning.

Cheers

Tony :)

Edited by FERRINO

Guest 2b cruising

If you are that close it might be worth applying for iva test now.

Processing time is around 12 weeks.

It's surprising how well it pushes you on to completion.

Super job with side and rear panels.

Look forward to meeting you at club outings.

Good luck and regards,

Ken.

Thanks everybody - Don't let the out side appearance fool you though. Still llllooooaaadddddssss of work to do before its anywhere near ready for IVA.

This is just a small list of remaining jobs from Whiteboard No1 in the garage!:-

20160604_114947_zps6drtgnid.jpg

Edited by FERRINO

• 5 months later...

Hi Jonathan,

It was only the Haynes Roadster rear tub that I used, the rear arches are off a GBS Zero.

I did buy some brand new roadster rear arches but they didn't look right at all for some reason on my weird hybrid setup - so they got sold on. The Zero ones just looked a slightly better fit tbh.

The Haynes Roadster is a wide 7 replica anyway but because the 2B is just so silly-over the top wide I still had to cut the rear tub to get it to fit over the massive out-reaching rear frame tubes at the back (something like a further 70mm from memory! :o ). Picture below with the 2 halves clamped onto the frame tube just after cutting :-

20140426_164225_zps2803b1c9.jpg

The 2 sections are now held together with some aluminium box section riveted on the top and bottom inside. You might just be able to see the silver colour spanning the gap top and btm from this more current pic?:-

rear_end_zpsfxla2wp6.jpg

I still need to make the infill section when it's time to finish off the bodywork - so it's still open for now. hopefully the join lines will be fairly well covered as I'm planning on having a stripe decal run down the middle front to back when its all done.

I think it's starting to look alright now, but it's not a trivial 5 min job to get bodywork from other kit makes onto these 2B's by any means. I just really don't like the thin 'tapered' metal type rear arches personally.

The GRP Haynes Roadster side panels were so-so close to being a direct fit - but the 2B chassis rails are about 4mm taller so the top and btm return lips of the GRP had to be almost completely removed - making them fit less securely and nicely than I'd like. A future job is going to be to remove them and just make some Aluminium side panels properly when time allows.

Cheers

Tony :)