Acuspark

biksz

Is this with the accuspark dizzy fitted or with the old system still in place?

The wiring of the coil is simple.

Ignition live to positive (+ or 15) terminal.

A wire from negative (- or 1) terminal to some sort of switching system. This switching system can be a points dizzy, an accuspark, an inductive module, an ECU or whatever. You may also have a wire from the negative terminal of the coil to the rev counter but it can come from the rev counter output in an ecu, etc.

The purpose of the switching unit is to switch the negative terminal of the coil to ground in a carefully timed manner, twice for each engine revolution, to collapse the lectric in the coil and send it sparking to a plug. It depends on what is doing the switching and the position of the crank as to what reading you will get from this wire to the negative terminal.

This wire is the wire that goes from coil neg to the points in a dizzy or in your case connects to the black or blue wire from the accuspark dizzy.

The accuspark also has a red wire that needs to be connected to a separate ignition live.

And you are done.

Nigel

ps You do not connect a simple earth to the coil negative! You don't even to earth the outer case of the coil!

Edited by Longboarder

That was with the accuspark dizzy the red wire.went to the ignition side of coil and the black wire to.the earth side but still no spark can't understand why though so put old edis back on to check and the old dizzy has a spring bouncing about in there so got another dizzy that runs of the edis and fired up straight away but still would.like to.no.how.to wire accuspark up as want to get rid of edis to eliminate. I ate problems later on

Tractor, I am not following you as I think you are making an error or I'm reading your advice wrong.

The black wire from the accuspark should go to the coil negative.

The red to an ignition live. (And I would use a fresh ignition live not the coil ignition live.)

Neither of the accuspark wires goes to earth. That is my understanding.

Nigel

As to the device not working you may have a ballast resistor in line with the coil. In which case accuspark red wire should be connected battery side of the resistor or a separate/fresh ignition live.

Coil may be wrong sort for the accuspark. Accuspark directions on their website are pretty good.

Edited by Longboarder

Guest 2Bbuilt

Fitted my new ignition on saturday just gone (full system, coil, new dizzy with electronic ignition). 2ltr pinto

ignition live to + of coil

red from dizzy to + on coil

earth from chassis to body of coil (under the bolt that holds it on)

Rev counter to neg of coil.

Black wire from dizzy to - neg of coil

works a treat!!!

note. did not work until i ran earth from chassis to coil attachment bolts.

I have however had an accuspark that was faulty in the past for my MGB.

Edited by 2Bbuilt

did not work until i ran earth from chassis to coil attachment bolts

That's worth noting. I didn't think it was needed. Seen lots of coils with heavily painted outer cases and no apparent earth and still worked fine.

Try an earth to the case.

Nigel

Guest gselect

Not wanting to put a downner on this but the accuspark dizzy should not have their polarity reversed. I did on my first one. now dead, went in an instant couldn't understand why it didn't work until I read up on it. Not saying for one second that you have but worth a thought.