Q Plate

Guest DAVE1954

Guest DAVE1954

Hi my 2b passed Iva yesterday, after failing on minor problems first time, I didn't have donar documents but told I will be given a Q plate, what is wrong with a Q plate kit car enthusiasts seem to shun it. Cheers. Dave

There's a stigma with Q plates but not valid anymore, only the builder know how good the car is underneath. You might find the resale value for someone who know nothing about kit cars may be slightly lower.

On the plus side there is no emission test, just a visual for the MOT.

And that's a huge plus, considering the difficulty some have had getting through an MOT. My car will be eligible for a new plate but I'm considering opting for a Q plate just for future MOTs.

• Like 1

Guest DAVE1954

Hi thanks for you answers,I know that having a Q plate i don't have to m o t it for 3 years, does this apply if you register on donar documents. Cheers. Dave

Guest Jonnyround2003

I passed my Iva last year and had a q plate you have to still mot the following year and from then on you don't get 3 years like its a new car

I got an age related plate at IVA and when I needed to tax the car after the first year, DVLA wanted an MOT certificate. I phoned them to query this and they said that an MOT was definitely needed. I told them that MOT anniversary dates were determined by VOSA not DVLA and I just filled out a paper declaration to say that no MOT was due and taxed the car at a Post Office. No hassle and no backlash.

I did the same thing the second year and then MOT'd after 3 years as usual. As usual DVLA show no consistency which leads to confusion and abuse of the system.

Guest DAVE1954

Hi I'm going by the kitcar section of the dvla who I rang, they told me I would have Q plate because I didn't have donor documents, but I had a letter off ford of proof of pinto engine age, the person I spoke to said don't be disappointed withQ plate because I won't need M O T for 3 years. Cheers. Dave