Robin Hood 2B Sliding Pillar Suspension

Guest Leedsdrew

Guest Leedsdrew

Hi there,

Before I start I want to apologise in advance if this topic has been covered before, I have had a look through the posts and couldn't find anything directly relevant.

As the title suggests I am building a 2b and trying to persevere with sliding pillar suspension on the front end. I was hoping you might know any members in the Yorkshire area who may have examples I could look at because I've come up against some big issues, namely the wheel studs are too short on the hub to fit any alloys on safely and the brake disk fouls on the lower frame mount in operation. This all seems to point towards having the wrong hubs (which I presume are straight off the donor vehicle -Sierra CVH 1.8). The car was bought as an unfinished project and it would not be beyond the realms of possibility that are the wrong hubs given some of the other issues I have had to correct so far! I could really do with seeing if I'm missing something before I chuck them out though by having a gander at someone else's set-up.

Sorry to be a pain but I'm sure you know the feeling, I've come too far to turn back now and I've managed to hold off pestering anyone up until now but I have to admit defeat :0)

Many, many thanks in advance. I am really stuck on this one and any help would be great.

Drew

Edited by Leedsdrew

Guest Leedsdrew

...By the way, before anyone suggests getting wishbones, I'm not in a position financially to entertain the idea yet i'm afraid. They are on the list though :0)

Guest 2b cruising

I cannot help you with this problem but will state that you have done the right thing by asking.

Lots of Yorkshire members and I am sure you will get the help you need.

Never let it bother you about asking questions no matter how silly, simple or technical they might seem to you.

The forum would not survive without such questions and members are always pleased to help whenever possible.

Good luck with completing your build and I hope all goes well for you.

Regards, Ken.

Wheel studs........you can buy longer studs & they are relatively easy to install.

I also needed 5mm spacers to stop the tyre rubbing on the spring.

The disk rubbing is an odd one. I havent heard of it before.

It is possible that the bottom of the chrome tube has been fitted too far towards

the body of the car.

Post up some close up pics for some more advice.

Hi Drew - I'm in exactly the same position as you regarding persevering with the sliding pillar front suspension. I assume you're working towards IVA too?

I have fitted longer studs (dead easy to knock out the old ones and pop longer ones in) and also small spacers as the wheels were far too close to the springs.

As mentioned earlier - please post up some pics and I''l do the same tomorrow if it helps.

Cheers

Tony

Guest 2b cruising

Don't go just popping spacers on until you know the et of the wheels you may be fitting.

et is the offset of the wheel centre, you need to know what offset was used on the original cars and buy wheels to suit.

This way you can do without spacers altogether

Less weight, less cost so worth checking.

Hi Drew

If you search on here I put quite a few tips and sketches on how to build and set up the sliding pillars. Managed to get mine set up really well.

Regards the wheel spacers yes I fitted 10mm spacers with ET35 15" wheels, also had to fit longer wheel studs. As Bob states, an easy job.

If you get stuck pm me and I'll dig out the sketches

Guest Leedsdrew

Wow! I never thought I would get this sort of positive response and so quickly! Many thanks to all of you for your comments and suggestions. In the first instance I'm going to take a load of pics and post these up for you too look at and help explain my problem in regards the catching disk.

Having done some trawling through the site I can see that I am missing the lower rubber damper underneath the hub which i have long suspected was pretty essential! Having looked at a diagram someone very kindly posted I know the dimensions but could someone help me source them or at least give me a technical name for reference?

At the risk of exposing myself to be the complete novice I really am, if I were to add these dampers beneath the hub would I need tobuy shorter coil springs to accommodate the shorter reach or do I assume that the coils that came with the car were designed to work with the damper in place?

currently the brake disk sits around the bottom frame arm which if you're looking straight down the length of the car means that I have had to slide the disk on with the hole in the middle of the disk accommodating the frame arm. The problem is when the hub slides up the pillar it causes the lower arm to catch on the brake disk. Now, as I haven't fully re-assembled the front suspension I may find it doesn't move as much as I am thinking which might mean there is no problem but I suspect it will need that much travel. This problem is far better explained using some pictures so I will get on to that ASAP.

In regards the short wheel studs I wrongly assumed they were spot welded or heat shrunk into place on the wheel plate so never dared tap them out. Any tips on easy/safe removal?

Right then, I'll get some pictures on here as soon as I can and once again many thanks,

Drew

Edited by Leedsdrew

The studs are a press fit.

If you do not plan to reuse them, just whack them inwards with a big lump hammer.

To fit new ones, use spacers ( a 1/2 inch socket may do), a couple of greased or oiled washers , and a nut to

wind the stud into the hub.

The disk problems sounds more & more odd.

Pics will help.

The bump stop washer was a real lashup. It just needs to stop the hub whacking back down on the lower wishbone.

Anything from industrial conveyor belt, to cut down polybush suspension fittings have been used.

Keep it about 1/2" deep, no more. The original spring will be fine.

Keep calm & Carry on!...you are on the right track

Guest Leedsdrew

Hi again, this is a picture of the hub at the lowest point. I appreciate I need to source a rubber damper to go between the hub and the bottom frame wishbone arm so in reality it will sit higher.

post-13629-0-75364200-1465908789_thumb.jpeg

Guest Leedsdrew

This is an image of the hub as it is about a third of the way up the pillar. As you can see the front disk is fouling on the edge of the frame. In fact in this image it is resting on it. Regardless of dampers and other ancillary items I still have an issue. You might also be able to see I have already angle grinded a bit of the wishbone but any more and I am getting perilously close to those two holes. (PS- what are they for? I understand why they are on the top ones to retain the pillar but not the bottom ones)

Any thoughts?

Cheers,

Drew

post-13629-0-95282700-1465909423_thumb.jpeg

I'm sure Tazzman will probably be along later with some much clearer better quality pics of the setup he had, but here a few I took of mine a little while back:-

The disc does look close to the lower arm - but nowhere near as close as yours? I'll measure the gap later for you when I get home.

stop1_zps5658b7e6.jpg

stop2_zps380c8da0.jpg

stop4_zpsbd7d308d.jpg

stop3_zps91b42be6.jpg