Robin Hood 2B Sliding Pillar Suspension

Guest Leedsdrew

One silly question - but is the pinch bolt in and done up tight? I can't quite see from the photo's?

It does seem like the hub/disc section is drooping down a touch with respect to the bushed tube section?

Ok here goes...

I managed to trawl through my archive of photo's docs etc and found these. They should put you on the right track. Recommend you do all the upgrades otherwise you Will have issues later....

A couple of photo's of the rebuilt sliding pillar

post-2721-0-59250100-1465926024_thumb.jpg

post-2721-0-27490400-1465926048_thumb.jpg

And 1 photo of before I rebuilt

post-2721-0-76670700-1465926069_thumb.jpg

Ths file should give you an idea of all improvements and setting up that you need to get it somewhere near

Sliding pillar assy.ppt

Hopefully from this lot you can see what you need to do.

The rubber bump stops were anti-vibration mounts available from ebay something like this (may need drilling out for a clearance fit) http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ANTI-VIBRATION-MOUNTS-RUBBER-BOBBIN-MOUNTING-FEMALE-FEMALE-CYLINDRICAL-MOUNTS-/262406463337?var=&hash=item3d18a4df69:i:262406463337

hope this helps a little :db: 8)

Good luck

• Like 1

Whipped the wheels off last night to check for you. I'm still messing about with mine at the moment with regards to ride height/steering rack height positioning and spring lengths/rates etc - but currently at rest there is only about 8mm clearance between disc and strut.

Obviously as the hub moves up the shaft at the inclined angle that gap will come down a bit more.

Didn't have time get the spring compressors out last night so I couldn't move the hub up to see what the gap is in the worse case position - but I'd estimate only a couple of mm at best.

Looks like I'll be shaving a little off the strut like you have done to get a touch more clearance too as that's not really enough for my liking.

Still not entirely sure why yours is hitting though even with the 'shaving' already carried out?

Cheers

Tony :)

8mm_1_zpsbqqkrlpr.jpg

8mm_2.jpg_zpsycr08mif.jpg

8mm_3.jpg_zpsur9hauhs.jpg

8mm_4.jpg_zps2xs3xveg.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Leedsdrew

Hi there,

Once again many thanks to everyone for helping me out. Largely down to all the help and advice you have given me I have managed to sort out all the problems so far and I am now at final assembly stage.

Just a quick query before I get started, I have had the springs fitted on a dry run and know that they will compress down but I was just a bit concerned about how much pre tension they will be under. Never having messed about with this stuff before it may be perfectly fine but I just thought I would check first.

The picture shows below that the uncompressed Spring is just under 230 long. I need to compress it to 165 to make it fit. Does this sound normal? There are no markings on the springs to help us I am afraid.

Many thanks in advance. Once again sorry if this has been covered 1000 times already,

Drew

post-13629-0-01499000-1467242272_thumb.jpeg

Hi Drew yes that sounds about right, just be careful as there is a lot of energy in them springs when compressed. Made me nervous each time. Hardest part is getting some compressors to fit...
Glad see you are getting there

Edited by tazzzzman1

Guest 2b cruising

Hi

Just a question. Mine has the old cortina front suspension. Am I able to change that? I like the look of these on here.

Steve

if you feel the need for change I would personally go for double wishbone.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest evildave

I'm liking those rubber pillar bottoms. Mine doesn't have any rubbers and I get a fair bang from front left if I hit anything reasonably lumpy in the road. could this be my problem? I have steel ty rapped a piece of hose around the pillar but not had a chance for road test.

Yes Dave that will give you the problem described. The bottom rubbers/ bumpstops prevent the Sliding pillars crashing/ banging into the bottom mounts. Just add a bit of dampening