Backfire Through Throttle Bodies

Guest Scotty84

Guest mcramsay

I had good success with the adaptive mapping function on the emerald, using feedback from a wideband lambda sensor to in essence map the ecu as you drive, however this is not a definitive substitute for a real mapping session. As it only gets the fuel mixture close to a value that you have to set for each load site, it will not alter the timing.

You can change the map on the emerald without the switch, you could try loading the map you want to try onto the ecu as the main map and running the car and see how it runs. The only issue is I would not feel comfortable running a car on a map that I had no idea if it's correct or not. You have no fuel AFR freed back and thus no idea if you are running majorly lean/ rich.

Call emerald and ask if they have any rolling road reccomendations close to you, they are pretty good with things like that.

I found the zetec a bit fiddly to set up on throttle bodies, you have to start from scratch, close all the bleeds on the bodies and then balance the pairs, then using the bleeds get all the bodies as balanced as they can be,

Set the idle speed on the throttle bodies and recalibrate the throttle pot, and then there is a little bit of fine tuning to do between trimming out/ adding more fuel on the live adjustments page and resetting the idle screw, then again recalibrate the TPS, and see how it idles then, it can take a while to get right.

Guest lotusPaul

What size are the TBs

What size/flow rate are the injectors @ 3bar

What exhaust system

I'll send you something to work with that.

If get it to Dave's place, asap

Also it's worth having an oxygen senser fitted..Emerald sell them now too. It's the brand new bosche senser too not the old spec and better money..call them

Guest shaggy

Scotty,

Map 1 was the original map and it ran like a pig. Not sure what the previous owner did but when I sold it it was on map 2. My advice is to switch it over using the laptop thingy (never could find out how to use it).

Original blacktop did have a misfire on No1 and after sourcing another unit, I took it back hence the new map gsxr 1100.

Simon

Guest lotusPaul

Emerald must be mapped when hot. This is because the start up map runs as a percentage of the base (hot) map. Therefore it could be seen as the start up map is applying choke. If it's not set up correctly in first place then you will be bloody lucky to have it start up correctly untill warm or even run right in first place.

It really needs a propper map which I can send when I'm home, or, phone up leoni at Emerald and ask her to send a map via email. I can't stress how helpfull Dave and her are. The maps I have mostly came from them or Troy at Northampton Motor Sports.both good sources.

Guest Scotty84

Emerald must be mapped when hot. This is because the start up map runs as a percentage of the base (hot) map. Therefore it could be seen as the start up map is applying choke. If it's not set up correctly in first place then you will be bloody lucky to have it start up correctly untill warm or even run right in first place.

It really needs a propper map which I can send when I'm home, or, phone up leoni at Emerald and ask her to send a map via email. I can't stress how helpfull Dave and her are. The maps I have mostly came from them or Troy at Northampton Motor Sports.both good sources.

Hey buddy that would be great if you could send a map. Tried another one today sent by Simon and it made it idle alot better but had a constant backfire from exhaust with puffs of black smoke so turned it back onto my map straight away.

Just to confirm it's got he following

2.0 zetec blacktop standard

Gsxr1100 throttle bodies and injectors

3bar pressure to rail.

Faults are:

Lumpy idle

Once warm stalls when slowing at lights

On idle get occasion popping from one of the throttle bodies.

Exhaust will pop with black smoke under heavy load. Puff of black smoke when first setting of from standstill.

Could it be a valve timing issue?

All I have changed and seemed to make it worst tbf is the following

New facet lift pump

New spark plugs

Cheers buddy

My email is shropshine@hotmail.com

Guest Scotty84

Scotty,

Map 1 was the original map and it ran like a pig. Not sure what the previous owner did but when I sold it it was on map 2. My advice is to switch it over using the laptop thingy (never could find out how to use it).

Original blacktop did have a misfire on No1 and after sourcing another unit, I took it back hence the new map gsxr 1100.

Simon

Cheers Simon

Yes slot 2 and 3 show the same file name. Switched over to them and made no difference really.

It was running fine just rich before I ran out of fuel and killed the lift pump.

Replaced that and spark plugs and get these issues lol.

Guest lotusPaul

I'm still living in a field on a tank till weekend..when I'm home I'll email you some maps...down load the instructions and read them, particularly reseting tps. Then do that..book in with leoni for a day on rollers..best value you will find.

Give me a day or so..but I'll send some over.

Guest Scotty84

I'm still living in a field on a tank till weekend..when I'm home I'll email you some maps...down load the instructions and read them, particularly reseting tps. Then do that..book in with leoni for a day on rollers..best value you will find.

Give me a day or so..but I'll send some over.

Cheers Paul,

I have read through the manual and cant find how to reset tps, must be missing it.

But yes if you could send me some maps I can load them onto a slot as I now have the switch.

Its booked in for a session but earliest date is 6th September. So if one of your maps will see it running safe enough just to have a drive out in it now and again before the session that would be great.

Guest lotusPaul

I wasn't aware it was my daughter's prom this weekend so I've been busy with that.

Family maters beat car time any day.

I'll be in the case in the week and I'll send what I can.

Guest Scotty84

I wasn't aware it was my daughter's prom this weekend so I've been busy with that.

Family maters beat car time any day.

I'll be in the case in the week and I'll send what I can.

Totally agree buddy, managed to get today of work and spend time with my twin boys........

I have ordered a complete new fuel delivery kit inc lift pump, swirl pot, HP pump, low&high pressure filter, fuel reg and all new fuel lines. Not happy with this hissing noise from the current HP pump in an old mk2 golf gti swilpot/housing plastic thing lol. Its rather noisy and sounds like its drawing in air.

I will get all this fitted thus week and I have it booked in at a garage a week friday for a complete health check prior to going to dales, just to make sure its not a mechanical issue.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Scotty84

Scott..can you confirm that there was or wasn't in that mail?

Paul

Hey Paul,

Sorry for delay been on holiday. But I can confirm there was no attachments on the email :(